Stop loading articles in the same page with the module?

Support forum dedicated to free and advanced Joomla content presentation module with various layout options and data sources support.
GK User
Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:00 pm
Is there no way to have the news show pro send the person to the actual article instead of loading it in the same page the module is in? Basically I want it so that it functions just like a blog category when you click on the read more of an intro, it sends you to the full article page. I want this to be the same way for this module.

This also happens with the Image Show when linking to an article as well...rather annoying.

Is there no simple method to do this?
Thanks in advance.
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:13 pm
Quick follow up...interestingly I made a menu link to a category and now the news show pro does what I want. However, what if there isn't to be a menu link made to a category but you want the news module to display from it? It's going to load the article in the same page...does this mean that a person "always" has to have a menu link made first to the category (or categories)?
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:34 pm
Can you provide a link and a screenshot of what you want ?
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:17 am
actually I think I figured out the issue...when you make a menu "blog category" type link, you get your blog layout style and when you click on a "Read More" link from the intros, you get the full page article. However, when a menu item does not exist for this or for an article, the new show pro has no layout attributes to display like a normal menu link would, so therefore it loads the article in the page where the module is published to.

So in a nutshell, if a person does not have a menu link on a menu somewhere that points to the category >> Articles, it will load the article in-page. But if one was to create a menu link to the category, whether on a live menu or a "hidden" menu, then the news show has something to display in a blog category format.

Hope that made sense? I doubt many will have a scenario where no menu link exists while using the news show pro to load articles from a hidden category. I just remembered I had to do this once a couple years ago, where I had to create a hidden menu, which I also used for other pages that were not being linked to directly from a menu item, such as in-page links, or a thank you page after one submits a form (when needing modules on that "thank you" page, because you needed menu items to publish modules.

Ok, time for coffee!
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:24 pm
Hi all,

I experienced the same issue and it is driving me crazy. I tried to solve it (as mentioned) creating a blog category menu link but it does not work for me, maybe because it is my home page?

Any further info about how to solve this should be great.

Thank you.
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:35 pm
Basically what I did was create a "new" menu group and called it "Hidden Menu". I then created a menu item for a Blog Category type, did my parameters for that, like 1 column, 10 intros, etc, etc...much like you would do if this was to go on a live menu. Then in the news show module, I chose the category to display. After doing this, it appears it takes on the layout parameters that I did with the hidden menu item.

**You don't need a module created for this menu, just the menu set as published.

** just a side note for your Hidden Menu...if you have a forms component and you want to make "thank you" for submission pages but have the ability to show modules on these pages, you can add menu items linked to these pages on your Hidden menu group being as you don't need them on a live menu. This way, being on a hidden menu, you can put modules there. I did this with my previous site where I had different forms and different thank you pages, as well as membership signup notices when someone registered.

** Now, what would be really cool is if the Gavick team's new show module would load in or have the ability to do this without having to make a hidden menu and not have the article load where the module is, if a person does not have a menu item already pointing to the article location (article or category).
Fresh Boarder

teitbite
Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:17 pm
Hi

Yes this is a solution. Anyway this question is being asked and asked over and over again :(

To show articles on it's own page You need to prepare such page for it. Means You need to create a menu item with section/category where this article is keept (it works for k2 and vm with it's own category also).

This is a standard joomla functionality to load an article where it was clicked if there is no menu item attached. It works this way not only with NSP.