Logo Functionality Issue

Rate this topic: Evaluations: 1, 1.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 1.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 1.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 1.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 1.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 1.00 on the average.1.00 out of 6 based on 1 vote(s)
GK User
Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:41 pm
Report this post
A client asked me to point them in the right direction in relation to enabling disabling modules on their site

They have placed their logo in the slideshow and wish to disable the logo beside the navigation, just on the home page. That works for me
I found this page http://bit.ly/O5R4Ib which shows that a position called "Logo" is the one to utilise.

Informed them that they will need to disable the image in the template and create a new module with the logo and enable it on the whole site except the home page.

Problem is that NO Logo position exists in the StartUp template and my recommendation is disfunctional :blush:

How best to achieve what they are seeking?
Thanks
Expert Boarder

GK User
Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:27 am
Report this post
The way to do it is to use page suffix for homepage:
http://www.gavick.com/documentation/gen ... mla-pages/
and hidding #gkLogo element.

GK User
Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:23 pm
Report this post
Cyberek understand your logic but the logo doesn't have module position to achieve what that article does

See here http://demo.gavick.com/joomla25/startup ... etails.xml

Howe to create what you suggest isn't happening, although it does with other modules.
Also getting it to work on the home/index page is problematic.

Not into hacking code, prefer the workaround, but it appears I may have to which is not pleasing me :(
Expert Boarder

GK User
Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:44 am
Report this post
The logo doesn't have to have module position. With page suffixes and using override.css to hide any element on a selected page you need only an id or class identyfying your element, and I have provided it in my previous post ;).

GK User
Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:03 am
Report this post
Cyberek wrote:The logo doesn't have to have module position. With page suffixes and using override.css to hide any element on a selected page you need only an id or class identyfying your element, and I have provided it in my previous post ;).

Two heads here now and got it ... suggest that the page you sent has an example without a module position, once we got that working it's now fine :laugh:
Expert Boarder

GK User
Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:11 am
Report this post
Sometimes thing are easier than they seems ;). Plus our templates have some solutions that are not standard Joomla solutions ;).

GK User
Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:25 pm
Report this post
Agree on both counts, and thanks for your support.
But still suggest that the issue highlighted sends confusion ... three of us all with association since Mambo days took time to resolve.
May be we are just dull :silly:
Expert Boarder

GK User
Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:03 am
Report this post
Perhaps the problem lies somewhere else - most of us here have front-end developer roots, so its easier to think in terms of html elements, css etc. When you were using used Mambo/Joomla most of the time, without even looking into html, your approach is obvious. Yet we target our products mostly to beginners/middle level users who mostly even don't know what Joomla module is, so sometimes its easier to create one line of overriding the layout then describing how to find correct module etc.
Also a logo usually acts as a basic element on the site and not many users think about disabling it, while many would have problems with changing it inside of the module - thats why it is generated basing on our theme settings.
But all above is just a front-end guy talking and might have no sense at all for anybody else ;).

GK User
Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:51 am
Report this post
I'll agree and yet disagree.
I was the first person to access Mambo open source "before" it became public ... so I do have some experience and understanding and am a little more than a beginner/middle level user.

Disabling modules and elements is something I've been doing for some time, such as interchanging menus with multi level registered access
I won't go on about mine's bigger than yours as that adds little value to this interchange

So don't shoot the messenger ... or ignore the message that the contents on the link is still confusing. Also it's not Joomla but Gavick functionality that we are discussing here.
Expert Boarder

GK User
Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:28 pm
Report this post
I always love to exchange ideas and opinions... Its the best way to make a product become better, so thanks for all the opinions :).
Ill talk about the matter with our dev-team.

GK User
Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:31 pm
Report this post
Also, what comes to my mind when I go back to your first post - the module schema you have found has colors on it. I don't know why "the legend" is missing, but those with pink backgrounds are "modules" reserved to be controlled only from template settings and cant be accessed with standard module position. That might be the core of mislead at the beginning ;).