2.5.2 to 3.3

GK User
Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:28 am
I possibly may of made the mistake of going with 2.5 when I downloaded this template and should of used J3. I hadnt used it before so I was a little in the mindset of not touching something I wasnt familar with.

Anyway so I was wanting to update the install of Storefront 2.5 to 3..3. I read that you can go to Components > Update and you can do it through there, and thereafter install the Storefront J3.0 template and extensions if required.

However when I go to the Update component it just says "Joomla is up to date". So I also read that changing the options there from Long Term to Short term will fix this and I still cannot get it to want to get an update. So I was going to do it the older way of getting the 2.5.2 to 3.3 but I cannot find anything on the Joomla site like that anymore. I remember when we used to update 1.5 to 2.0 etc you could do that.

My PHP is 5.4.x something and The URL_open is on and the other one below it is off, which is supposed to be the proper settings.

Thanks.
Gold Boarder

GK User
Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:05 am
You need firstly to check whether all your 3rd party extensions are Joomla 3 compatible. If yes, you can update Joomla via Updater in back-end and then reinstall template to J!3 compatible version.
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:55 am
bkrztuk wrote:You need firstly to check whether all your 3rd party extensions are Joomla 3 compatible. If yes, you can update Joomla via Updater in back-end and then reinstall template to J!3 compatible version.

My problem is on the back end it says Joomla 2.5 is up to date and wont show me Joomla 3.0 updates. Please see below in my previous msg the problem as it wont find new updates :(. Perhaps I should ask in the Joomla forum but I was wondering if it may of been issue with the template or Joomla.

Thanks.
Gold Boarder

GK User
Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:55 am
Did you change the update to STS like on this tutorial » Joomla 2.5 to 3.0 Upgrade Tutorial
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:08 am
bkrztuk wrote:Did you change the update to STS like on this tutorial » Joomla 2.5 to 3.0 Upgrade Tutorial

Thanks for the reply again.

I did follow a tutorial on the Joomla forum and I mentioned below in my previous msg that I did change to STS but still am not getting any update alert. My Joomla is on 2.5.20 and it says no Joomla updates even though there is a 2.5.24.

However on that link you sent me it says I need to be on 2.5.7 but on the Joomla site the latest is 2.5.24. Weird?

Anyway I am manually updating to 2.5.24 now and I hope this will fix up the finding the update to Joomla 3. I will let you know how I go.
Gold Boarder

GK User
Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:29 am
I got the update to install after updating it to 2.5.24 and I had an error after installing. I cant get back into Admin.

I read that you can rename plugins/system/remember/remember.php and it will work and after you get in to rename it back, but I am getting this error:

1146 - An error has occurred.
Table 'kanzen_gkblueap.rfz5k_postinstall_messages' doesn't exist SQL=SHOW FULL COLUMNS FROM `rfz5k_postinstall_messages`

Return to Control Panel

Looking in my DB, there is no postinstall_messages field. But now I have no idea what to do since its not there :(.

Thanks.
Gold Boarder

GK User
Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:02 pm
I managed to get to 3.01 with no problems from a 2.5 to 3.01 (was hard to find) upgrade package. So I will see if I can work myself from 3.01 to 3.3. I did see other people had similar errors of unsuccessful upgrades from 2.5 and even from J3 to 3.1.5 upwards. But there is no real solution that I could find.
Gold Boarder

GK User
Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:32 am
This is how the installer was designed… I always update from 2.5 immediately to latest 3.x version so in this case 3.3.3. I think that is better solution that update to 3.0 and then again to 3.3
Platinum Boarder