Multilingual website problem

Professionally designed and responsive events Joomla template to launch your event based website.
GK User
Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:06 pm
Hello,
Today I tried to set up a second language in joomla and it has been very hard.

Switching on the language filter plugin I had many problem:
1)
Header behaviour changed.
I had to change the configuration of the template features adding suffixes rules. I think now it works... but I really advice to write something about it in template documentation, as I think it's a common issue setting up a multilingual website.

2)
Menu behaviour
In a joomla website with 2 languages I need to create 3 menus: Which should I use as a template menu? English, Spanish or All languages? If I choose english, switching to spanish language the menu disappears... so it's not usable.

Finally I decided to DON'T use the template menu and use menu modules... but I don't know which position use for them. I chose menu1, and I can't see anything.

So...
I would like to configure the template to use a menu according to the language chosen.

More over I would like to know which position is the correct to publish the language switcher on the top to the right of the page.

Thanks in advance.
Marco
Junior Boarder

teitbite
Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:13 am
Hi

There is a couple of methods to make a multilangual website. Here is a joomla recommended one: https://www.gavick.com/documentation/un ... oomla-1-7/

Personally I always choose Falang component to handle most of this complicated process for me.

BUT

In Your case I think best method would be to create a copy of template style for each language and in this style select to be used with particular language and a menu suitable for it. Should fix all Your problems.

GK User
Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:04 am
Hello,
Yes, I followed your advise and it looks fine now.

Do you know which is the correct position for language switcher and for contact module?
I would like to see both of them on the top to the right of the page, next to menu position.
Junior Boarder

teitbite
Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:25 pm
Hi

I'm afraid there is no module positions prepared for this elements, but try to publish them in top2 module position, basicaly any module position You have not used and will not use. I'll help You to convert this module position for this purpose.

Show me the site when You will do this.

GK User
Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:02 am
Hello,
Thanks a lot for your help.
I did what you said: I created
1 module for contact phone detail (custom html)
1 module for language switcher

They are published in top2 position.

Junior Boarder

teitbite
Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:48 am
Hi

Great. Now I would advice to put it to edges of screen. Here is a code for override.css (make sure override is activate in template settings).

Code: Select all
.mod-languages ul.lang-inline, .mod-languages ul.lang-block {
    background: none repeat scroll 0 0 #ddd;
    border-radius: 0 5px 5px 0;
    left: 0;
    position: fixed;
    top: 25%;
    z-index: 50;
}

unfortunatelly contact info is a little bit more complicated to write without checking, so please send me an access to ftp and I'll make it and will post how here.

GK User
Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:45 am
Hello,
Later I'm going to try it and im going to send you the data... I can't right now.

I realized new problems yesterday night:

1) Logo has different behaviours with different resolution screen. Sometimes too high, sometimes too low... in mobile cover all the page (I use a samsung galaxy 2)

2) Menu looks working properly with differente resolutions in the laptop, but When I open it in my mobile I have a white screen, without menu...

Let me know if I am the first with this problem :)

Thanks
Junior Boarder

teitbite
Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:44 am
Hi

Please attach screens of both problems. Your site and logo look ok to me on my devices.

GK User
Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:30 pm
Hello,
Here some pictures of the problem I told about the logo.

I tried using the template logo, but if i got a bad effect: logo over menu as in picture long_logo.

So I decided to cut the logo... but in this case i get the opposite effect... the logo looks hidden at the begin.

how to solve this problem??
Junior Boarder

GK User
Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:33 pm
Moreover... I have huge problem in mobile devices:
The logo looks too big...
The template doesnt look very well (picture mobile_1)

and the menu doesnt work properly picture mobile2

(I tried in different resolution in my laptop and it looks good, but in my samsung mobile)
Junior Boarder

teitbite
Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:02 am
Hi

Here is a code I used for contact module and to hide Top2 area we only used to bring this 2 new modules to website:

#gkTop2 {
    position: absolute;
    top: -999em;
}

#gkTop2 .custom {
    background: none repeat scroll 0 0 #ddd;
    border-radius: 5px 0 0 5px;
    position: fixed;
    top: 25%;
    z-index: 50;
    right: -145px;
    transition: all 0.2s linear 0s;
    -webkit-transition: all 0.2s linear 0s;
    -moz-transition: all 0.2s linear 0s;
    -ms-transition: all 0.2s linear 0s;
    -o-transition: all 0.2s linear 0s;
}

#gkTop2 .custom table {
    margin: 0;
}

#gkTop2 .custom table tr > td {
    border-bottom: medium none;
    border-top: 1px solid #e5e5e5;
}

#gkTop2 .custom table tr:first-child > td {
    border: medium none;
}

#gkTop2 .custom:hover {
    right: 0;
}

will look to logo issues in couple of minutes.

teitbite
Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:06 am
Hi

Ok. Logo wasn't as complicated as I thought. Looks like this code has make it not display so big:

#gkHeaderNav.active #gkLogoSmall {
    top: -130px;
}

Also answering Your PM question I'm afraid I'm booked for couple next weeks already, so I cannot promise anything right now, sorry.

GK User
Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:03 pm
Hi,
thanks a lot...
the contact position looks nice... but I think it's not working properly in my mobile device.

about the logo i'm using a big image in the english version and a smaller image in the spanish version.
I think I'm still seeing it too big if I se the original image...
http://www.unitrips.es/index.php/agenda-eng

and in the mobile I am having this issue with the white menu...
Junior Boarder

teitbite
Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:54 pm
Hi

Please add this to override.css:

#gkHeaderNav.static #gkLogoSmall {
    top: -120px;
}

there is no way to separate language versions (not an easy one), so best way will be to use same logo size, maybe fill some of the elements with transparency.

What is the problem with contact ? Works great on my iphone.