demo.gavick.com (Template Switching)...

Feel free to talk about everything related to our Joomla Products
Rate this topic: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.
GK User
Sat May 08, 2010 4:44 am
I know I look like a total web n00b asking, but it's never come up for me.

Now I'm wondering, HOW?

How does demo.gavick.com work?

I get that the selector is probably an in-house ajax thing, but how do you have so many unique sites installed, with only one *.domain.com pointing?

Also, if you would like to make this Template Selector available as an extension, it would be a super perk.

This isn't just directed at staff, they're busy with real questions, so if a member knows the answer, please share.
Expert Boarder

teitbite
Mon May 10, 2010 12:16 pm
Hi

As forum moderator I can only give a hint about having many sites at the same domain.

Each site is placed in diffrent directory for example: /nov09 , /feb10 , etc...
Database got diffrent preffixes for each table group.

GK User
Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:05 am
So are you saying the selector is choosing a DB rather than a url? HOW? It's honestly never come up in all my studies.

This is way heavier than anything I've ever considered, but I'd love to set up a portfolio/demo in exactly the same way.

I created a demo.myurl.com. Originally, I thought maybe you used masked forwarding, but I'm not sure it would mask the directories.

Super Curious!?!?!
Expert Boarder

teitbite
Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:17 pm
Hi

It's simple You just need to use the diffrent prefixes for each site's table names. This way You can have one database for couple of sites. You can see in Joomla configuration the prefix value, so that will be the only thing which would change in database configuration.