July Template

Feel free to talk about everything related to our Joomla Products
Rate this topic: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.
GK User
Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:16 pm
I think one of the reasons why RT is able to spend more time playing with CSS instead of actually designing great templates is that they seem to be churning out websites with the same identical base framework, just packageing it with different graphical elements in the backend. Unlike Gavick, who's templates are DRASTICALLY different from template to the next...

This is one of the reasons why I lilke Gavick... so - I'm begging - don't go that route and make all your templates based on the same wireframe here... Keep up what you are doing, and don't change the way you do things... I dumped RT because all of their templates pretty much look the same...

As for the Bonus Templates... I personally don't feel that Gavick needs to... It's a "gift"... it shouldn't be expected by the users... asking for bonus templates should delay a bonus release, so that when it actually does show up in fact, its a surprise bonus for everyone! (My opinion again... I know most of you here think I should be paying the 2 1/2 cents every time I open my mouth, but I don't have it... I've got some coffee and cheesecake though I can share! LOL)

RH
Junior Boarder

GK User
Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:52 pm
Yes, we agree that Gavick is best it was a request if Gavick can add more styles to it like RT and XTC. As far as Bonus Template is concern i agree with you that it will be gift by Gavick not by demand.

It is now accepted fact that we should not ask Gavick about release dates, some light themes or some modification for the betterment of the design or any compatibility issues like support to jomsocial or any 3rd party extension as Gavick will either delete the post or go silent. Thanks for your genuine opinion
Expert Boarder

GK User
Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:21 pm
Gavick n° 1
Senior Boarder

GK User
Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:53 pm
I'm not trying to make waves with anyone, but it just starts to get old reading pretty much the same posts over and over again every time a new template gets released. The same questions and requests seem to be asked... not always by the same people, but there are a few that seem to push the subject and after being around here since almost this club got started (on my second account account actually) I feel that it just gets a bit old.

I do happen agree that having additional design options available from the start is very handy, but I also happen to believe that developers should be learning how to make those changes on their own, rather than leaving it up to the template club to provide it for them. If we all used the same templates, in their default design forms, there wouldn't be such diversity on the web amongst those who use these templates would there?

Personally - what I would like to see out of Joomla itself is an easier and faster way to edit the CSS files within Joomla itself making the design process easier than dealing with multiple CSS files... it gets pretty confusing when clubs wind up including 5, 10, 15+ different CSS files and you have filter through all them to get the color schemes the way you want them... another club I frequest is horrible about spreading CSS styles for one object across several stylesheets which drives me batty...
Junior Boarder

GK User
Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:33 pm
i like your idea with the better integration with joomla for css files. did you write the joomla and less article gavick posted today... as far as i can see there are some nice features with exactly that . insted of changing the same color 30 times in 7 different css files, it can be done way easier (or else i totally misundestood that article hah)
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:40 pm
testing new template B)
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:05 pm
Files already available.

Enjoy ;)
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:45 pm
thks a lot
Expert Boarder

GK User
Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:04 pm
echo '<p>This is a nice template. Thumb up to all of you who worked on this project.</p>';

Fresh Boarder

GK User
Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:51 am
Can GK team make a light them css file for July template?
regards.
Senior Boarder

GK User
Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:12 pm
Sorry but not liking this one. It is WAY TOO DARK - it's hard to even make out a lot of the content. The main menu bar is pretty dull, just basic text links. The module variations are very ordinary, a choice of three colors or no color. The little module badges are kind of cool. It's basically a re-hash of Party Freak which was odd to say the least.

Have Gavick lost their touch? The only decent template this year has been MeMovie. Corporate2 was probably one of the dullest templates for a while - almost a replica of the very ordinary Finance template in 2009.

What happened? In 2008 you were the best. Some great stuff. Just get a feeling the ideas/creativity has dried up. Sorry if it sounds harsh but come on guys, you can do better. Need to spend less time on the great looking demo content and more on the template itself.

Need to get back to some creative and stylish (not over the top) ideas. People want slick, smart, clean templates that makes their content stand out. Very dark templates hide the content and make for a very bad user experience. You are very limited with such templates.

Yes I know you can change things with CSS but the template should have a very good standard look in the first place and a number of the recent ones just don't.

I am a big fan of Gavick mainly because of their 2007/2008 portfolio so I really do want them to produce great stuff. Hope my criticisms are taken constructively.
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:08 pm
Hello where's the pdf docs for gamebox?

Thanks.
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:49 pm
If you don't like the color scheme....... Change them?

I mean seriously, these templates are starting points for your specific project. You need to take them and customize/tweak them to your own needs.

If you can't do it, find someone that can. This is a "Template" Club - not a "We'll do your work for you" Club.
Expert Boarder

GK User
Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:53 pm
You obviously missed my point.
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:03 pm
......No, I got it.

YOU don't like the design. YOU are unhappy.

So if you don't like it and want to use it, customize it.
Expert Boarder

GK User
Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:25 pm
ThatComputerDude wrote:
......No, I got it.

YOU don't like the design. YOU are unhappy.

So if you don't like it and want to use it, customize it.

Look, you have your point of view and idea about what being a member of a template club is and I and many others have a different opinion.

As mentioned in my post, I know you can change CSS and I know you can alter PSD files. The point is that the original template should better reflect what people need for starting a project. I agree that an amount of customization is nearly always required to get what you want. However, the templates of late require many more changes to get them suitable for general use.

Changing the dark template into a light one is NOT a tweak as you put it. It is a major change unless you are some kind of CSS and Photoshop magician. This is why previous templates like the ICKI Sport one did not deliver a light version even though one was promised.

It requires a lot of effort and time to make these sort of changes. Most people buy templates because they don't have that amount of time otherwise why not create your own from scratch. They expect a certain amount of custom work to be done but not wholesale changes. As a paying customer you too should be complaining and not defending Gavick - I don't get it.

Gavick have produced many great templates in the past and I m just airing my view on the current batch. I am offering constructive criticism that's all.
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:27 pm
If you can voice your opinion then I should have the same exact right.

So don't get your panties in a bunch when someone else voices a different opinion.

If you don't like what I have to say, then don't read it and don't respond. I made one comment, lets not beat a dead horse.
Expert Boarder

GK User
Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:31 pm
Changing the dark template into a light one is NOT a tweak as you put it. It is a major change unless you are some kind of CSS and Photoshop magician. This is why previous templates like the ICKI Sport one did not deliver a light version even though one was promised.

It doesn't take a lot of skill to edit PSD files and CSS files to change a color theme.

Download Firebug for Firefox and test your changes LIVE, then make the changes to the CSS files - it tells you exactly what to click.

It's so easy, even a caveman can do it.

You are still missing the point of what a Template Club produces - they can't produce templates that are close to what YOU need for YOUR projects when they have THOUSANDS of members.

They create generic templates that can be used as a starting point for all skill levels of Joomla. It's not THEIR responsibility to customize it for you or provide you with a close to finished product.

We get the same complaining in here month after month and it gets real old, fast.
Expert Boarder

GK User
Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:34 pm
Ahhh, you must secretly be a Gavick employee. Ssssshhhhh - don't worry ThatComputerDude I won't tell anyone, promise.
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:39 pm
ThatComputerDude wrote:

It's so easy, even a caveman can do it.

Congratulations :laugh:
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:31 am
After all,I think GK should provide light and dark theme options in every template basically .
Not everybody is a coding guy.

Other joomla templates providers,such as rockettheme,joomlart...etc..they provide more themes and background options for setting in the template backend panel.

GK should do more good than ever.
That's GK's duty to meet most customers need no any excuse .

What is the definition of "best quality"?I think that listen to customers voices will be included besides templates itself.

regards.
Senior Boarder

GK User
Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:34 pm
Light version of this theme would be great! I hope you guys find the time you need to do it.
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:33 pm
Hi guys,
as happen with Party freak we will never see the light version for this template. Light version mean a re-design the color scheme from the scratch. It's now the 5th of August and the designer should be concentrate to the next month template otherwise we will see the August template in middle September.

All of you guys that want the light version, should work togheter to realize it. From my point of view the dark version is perfect for this king of theme.

Cheers,
E.
Gold Boarder

GK User
Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:22 pm
Hi
I want to hear from Gavick team really will not light theme template?
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:15 am
Ya.
How about Robert's idea to all GK customers ?

Pegalet wrote:
Hi
I want to hear from Gavick team really will not light theme template?
Senior Boarder

GK User
Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:27 am
If you want a "Light" version, contact me directly. Not only for this template, but any templates you have that you need help customizing. [email protected]
Expert Boarder

GK User
Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:33 am
hi,guy..

Maybe GK can hire you to do best quality of templates in seriously.
:woohoo:

And,poor GK customers should pay another cost to revise GK's templates that GK can't do much better for them.

ThatComputerDude wrote:
If you want a "Light" version, contact me directly. Not only for this template, but any templates you have that you need help customizing. [email protected]
Senior Boarder

GK User
Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:01 am
It's not Gavick's responsibility to provide finished templates.

If someone has clients that they are doing Web Development work for but can't customize a template the way they need/want it - I'll be happy to help them out.

That's what a community is about.
Expert Boarder

GK User
Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:14 am
ThatComputerDude wrote:

I considered offering the same service... I made Party Freak into a nice light template in a few hours (this includes the custom graphics).

I often feel like a fraud because I outsource 90% of my PHP. I know enough Java / PHP to get by on some of these projects, but I usually need expert coders. Those guys are at the TOP of this business.

But the idea of going into this business without the confidence to quickly perform simple HTML / CSS changes...? Well... I'm curious, what do you guys do? Do your clients simply accept every site you build using the gk quickstart? Do you outsource every aspect beyond Administration? Personally I'd be upset if I bought a site from a company only to find out it looks just like a template used by dozens if not a hundred or more other sites.

I'm not a Gavick Fanboy. I've left very serious reviews under this same name about their short comings (mainly the need to add at least one new staff member).

But what are you really complaining about here? A template is too dark? I happened to want this template to be dark. But guess what... if it had been light... I'd have changed it in about an hour!
Expert Boarder

GK User
Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:37 am
I think that is not realistic that Gavick's template satisfy everyone in this club, and is not realistic too, that everyone request to gavick customization for personal use. We can suggest improvings for the next releases, but is not imperative for the gavick team to customize a template born in their mind with this design. So, I think that everyone should customize the template for his personal needs, otherwise we will see the same design for many websites around the net.

Cheers.
Gold Boarder

GK User
Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:28 am
Thanks for your comments guys.

Can I remind you Gavick is a 'template' provider and not a full time web design company for personal custom projects.

Some members need to be educated the definition of a 'web template'.

These templates are off-the-shelf website designs. The use of CSS web design, website designers (as in you) can keep the content and style of a website design separate, meaning that many web design templates can be customised in all sorts of ways without much modification, for example attributes such as fonts, colours, backgrounds and so on.

Since these templates are pre-built, creating your website will probably be a lot quicker as a lot of the work from Gavick has already been done. It may only take you hours or days rather than months or weeks to put your information into the website design template and have your site up and running with a professional customised web design.

Members with in this community need to be reminded that you have the power to change colours, fonts etc hence why these are called 'templates'.

Regards
Senior Boarder

GK User
Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:07 pm
Hi

I just registered an account to pay a subscribtion. I am only interested in Joomla extensions (tabs manager and News show).

But the suscribtion's page makes me understand we pay only for templates and can't see any right to J; extensions (named above).

So my question : Does the 40 or 60 euros subscribtion also include Joomla extensions? or only templates ?
Where should we go else for extensions ?
:(

Thx,
sorry I could not post this message anywhere else, still don't have subscription.
Hop I could see your answer !
:dry:
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:09 pm
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:24 pm
OK, Thx.

I was confused by the offer's web page only mentioning templates .
http://www.gavick.com/component/content/article/45.html

Obviously the download area provides right to download both templates and extensions as soon as we have a valid subscribtion (I guess so).

Thx again for your quick answer
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:42 am
I don't mean GK should provide a personalized templates for everyone.
But,why do so many joomla template providers can give more theme color and background option setting in the template backend panel?But,GK gives less option in the template backend.

It's two business.

That's the point what GK should do efforts than ever did.

Provide more templates setting option is GK's duty for most customers like other providers do.
Senior Boarder

GK User
Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:17 am
GK should tell all of us what GK do about how to provide the best quality of templates?

Always delayed template release time,and fewer optionals of templates theme color and background in backend panel is what GK provide.
What happen of GK ?

Other templates providers they reply members questions in the forum too.They do what GK doesn't do in the forum too.
but,they release monthly template on time.I think all members don't want a hurry quality of monthly released template every month.

I don't see any members in the forum ask GK to personalize his templates.
They just want more template setting options in the template backend like other providers do.

Why doesn't GK provide more theme color and background options in template panel?
What happen of GK?
Senior Boarder

GK User
Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:01 am
Why do we need to hear the same thing over and over again?

First - is there an actual problem with the template itself? Or is your only complaint that you don't like the color scheme they picked for it?

Second - you complain about lateness... well, if they take time out to design a different color scheme for this template, are you going to be screaming at the end of the month because the next template is late because they are working to make your demands?

The difference between GK and others, is that Gavick produces templates that actually look like they were hand designed, rather than fitted to Wordpress or PHPNuke like sites like RT and a few others you compare this place to.

Real world use templates...

The fact of the matter is pretty simple... these templates are created to give you a BASE - which is why they provide LAYERED PSD SOURCE files... it's not just there to tweak text in the logo --- its there to recreate the template in ANY color scheme you want... These clubs are not exactly meant for people to have all the work done for them... its a BASE...

The reason why Gavick isn't responding is probably because this "support request" you are making is only because you don't like the color or the options... it is not because it's BROKEN. It's not a problem with the template itself as not working, you just don't like the color scheme...

Well - they provided you the source... you have full control to make it whatever color you want... what is the problem?
Junior Boarder

GK User
Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:05 am
GenoPeppino wrote:
ThatComputerDude wrote:
But the idea of going into this business without the confidence to quickly perform simple HTML / CSS changes...? Well... I'm curious, what do you guys do? Do your clients simply accept every site you build using the gk quickstart? Do you outsource every aspect beyond Administration? Personally I'd be upset if I bought a site from a company only to find out it looks just like a template used by dozens if not a hundred or more other sites.

Two Words...

AMEN BROTHER!
Junior Boarder

GK User
Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:05 am
rhantson wrote:
Why do we need to hear the same thing over and over again?

First - is there an actual problem with the template itself? Or is your only complaint that you don't like the color scheme they picked for it?

Second - you complain about lateness... well, if they take time out to design a different color scheme for this template, are you going to be screaming at the end of the month because the next template is late because they are working to make your demands?

The difference between GK and others, is that Gavick produces templates that actually look like they were hand designed, rather than fitted to Wordpress or PHPNuke like sites like RT and a few others you compare this place to.

Real world use templates...

The fact of the matter is pretty simple... these templates are created to give you a BASE - which is why they provide LAYERED PSD SOURCE files... it's not just there to tweak text in the logo --- its there to recreate the template in ANY color scheme you want... These clubs are not exactly meant for people to have all the work done for them... its a BASE...

The reason why Gavick isn't responding is probably because this "support request" you are making is only because you don't like the color or the options... it is not because it's BROKEN. It's not a problem with the template itself as not working, you just don't like the color scheme...

Well - they provided you the source... you have full control to make it whatever color you want... what is the problem?

I'm glad to see a fellow developer in one of these clubs that has the same outlook as I.
Expert Boarder

GK User
Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:05 am
ThatComputerDude wrote:

I'm glad to see a fellow developer in one of these clubs that has the same outlook as I.

It baffles my mind once in a while when I read the kind of stuff I'm reading here - not only here at Gavick, but on EVERY other Template site out there. Its the same issue, and people don't really undestand what a Template Club is at all...

I'm in NO WAY a CSS guru - and to expand a bit on my earlier comments - Joomla can be a BEAST when it comes to some templates out there spreading the same templates CSS areas across multiple templates... I can name TWO who are notorious about it, and don't put the CSS files in the proper locations to make them easy to find either...

How do "newbies" to the world of Joomla overcome this problem? Well, simply put, get a book on CSS or just browse the many sites who have plenty of CSS tutorials out there... Also - get a copy of Dreamweaver or some other WYSIWYG ready web design software suite... Open your CSS in these files, and just work with them on your site... and get the color schemes the way you want them...

Also - you can just ASK for HELP from the community... Rather than going off on the club 'staff' developers and demand they do the same thing XYZ template club does, why not just ask for help learning how to customize yourself.

Remember - what YOU may think is a bad look, someone else may say --- WOW! I wouldn't change a thing! (Do I like the design of this template? not exactly, I don't like the colors at all... but I know with the right tweaks using the PSD files, and fiddling with the CSS, I can make it LOOK however I want).

You can too... you may not know how right now, but you can learn how... and I am sure there are a TON of people who would help you just to get you guys to stop complaining... the object is to ASK for that help - not demand someone do it for you just because you spent a hundred dollars on their club.

RH
Junior Boarder