Protect your site when migrating from Joomla 3.x to 3.2
On November 6 the Joomla! Project and Community was excited and proud to announce the immediate availability of Joomla! CMS 3.2.0 Stable. This new version is truly something new and include some new features. Joomla 3.2 is a standard-term support release and is a one-click upgrade (not a migration) from previous Joomla 2.5 and 3 series releases.
However, it is likely that templates for Joomla 2.5 and Joomla 3.0/3.1 will need an update to work with Joomla 3.2, as will many extensions. That’s why we suggest that before you upgrade:
- Make a full backup of website.
- Fix your database: Extension Manager –> Check Database –> use the “Fix” button.
- Update when you have lower traffic to your website (for example: morning or late evening hours).
- Upgrade (install new versions of) the template as well as major components and modules. For example, if you’re going to upgrade your site to Joomla 3.2, please, first upgrade to JomSocial 184.108.40.206 which can be downloaded from jomsocial.com. If you already upgraded site to Joomla 3.2, please apply the patch provided on jomsocial forum. Otherwise, you may see users problems with logging.
- A Joomla upgrade can be performed directly from the Joomla administrative back-end.
After migration, check all modules, plugins etc. … we also suggest that you once again check the Database (tab) in Extension Manager.
Warning: Not all components work with Joomla 3.2 even if they properly worked with Joomla 3.1.6. Therefore, we encourage you to wait a few days if you are not sure about extension compatibility.
How to: Users of Gavick templates should install the latest version of the template / modules / components before updating to Joomla! 3.2 – which will break backward compatibility. Simply install the new version over your current version using the Joomla Extension manager installer. Please also read this article from our Magazine about new Gavern changes.
This article was first published