My articles are displaying twice

Advanced and professional portal news Joomla template with community features and various content display layouts.
GK User
Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:42 am
Hello,

I have a serious issue where my articles display twice. I notice that they dont appear twice when I turn off caching. But with cache on, every article displays twice in the respective menu category blog layout. I saw a solution online that suggest I changed any linked contacts, but I have no linked contacts on my contact page and I still get the issue

Would appreciate some help

Edwin
Senior Boarder

teitbite
Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:29 am
Hi

Please tell me the PHP version You are using. There were such issue related with lower than PHP 5.2.13.

GK User
Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:34 pm
Hi,
I've just started using cache and I have the same problem.
I've tried clearing cache and publishing new articles - but have the same problem.

This is where it's gong wrong (I think)....

<p class="readmore">
<a href="/jobs/403-medical-electronics-technician">

Read more: Medical Electronics Technician</a>
</p>

<div class="item-separator"></div>

</gavern:desktop>

<gavern:mobile>

<h2<gavern:gk_collapsible/>>

<a href="/jobs/403-medical-electronics-technician">

Medical Electronics Technician</a>

<gavern:gk_collapsible_button/>

</h2>

Apache version 2.2.24
PHP version 5.3.24
MySQL version 5.5.32-cll
Joomla 3.1.5
Senior Boarder

GK User
Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:15 am
Hello Thud,

Have you been able to get a fix. Still no solution for me. It is really messing up my site.

I use php 5.3.24
Senior Boarder

GK User
Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:26 pm
Hi edicolove,
No - not yet, I only tried cache for the first time yesterday as my bandwidth is going through the roof.

I haven't installed a cache plug-in, this is the one that comes with twn2. So I'm hoping for some input from Gavick. :)
Senior Boarder

GK User
Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:35 am
Please can someone help out. Thanks
Senior Boarder

teitbite
Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:12 am
Hi

Please tell me the PHP version number You have installed on the site than please enable the cache so I can see a broken site and tell me an exact url to such page.

GK User
Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:07 am
teitbite wrote:Hi

Please tell me the PHP version number You have installed on the site than please enable the cache so I can see a broken site and tell me an exact url to such page.

I use php 5.3.24. I have enabled cache so you can see the issue. An example URL is

http://www.ngrguardiannews2.com/index.p ... ional-news

It is the same for all other categories

Edwin
Senior Boarder

teitbite
Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:22 pm
Hi

Now I can see it's not cache related as I was suspecting. But I can see that only some articles are displayed twice. Please check if there is no a common artcles unpublished or in trash this may be some first try. Secondly please rename /html/com_content/category/ to /html/com_content/_category/ this will disable an override of this layout by template.

GK User
Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:04 pm
Hi,

I'm having the same issue with articles displaying twice.

Details:

Joomla 3.2 (just upgraded from 3.1.5 yesterday due to Joomla.org announcement)
Game Magazine template
PHP 5.3.x

I tried installing gkcache and gkextcache (ordered as indicated in plugin manager) as has been suggested along with deleting the cache and purge expired cache, but it had no effect, so they are are unpublished.

I also tried making Beez the default template, and the articles still display twice.

For awhile there my main menu items stopped working, but they work again after unpublishing the two plugins.

Is this a Joomla issue? Everything was fine before upgrading. I also manually uploaded the Game Template files over the existing ones -- without overwriting override.css.

Please help,
Railer
Gold Boarder

GK User
Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:39 pm

Now I can see it's not cache related as I was suspecting. But I can see that only some articles are displayed twice. Please check if there is no a common artcles unpublished or in trash this may be some first try. Secondly please rename /html/com_content/category/ to /html/com_content/_category/ this will disable an override of this layout by template.

Thanks teitbite,

The second option did it for me. I renamed the folder and now its fine. I hope that helps others too. I also noticed the category blog layout now works like I defined it in the menus. Nice info.

Thanks
Senior Boarder

GK User
Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:58 am
Yes, I renamed the folder too, and I didn't have repeating articles anymore, but it also disable the social media icons at the bottom of the article, which isn't good. Is there another fix for this issue?

thanks,
railer
Gold Boarder

GK User
Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:04 am
My social media icons are still there. Maybe I got lucky.
Senior Boarder

GK User
Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:23 pm
Thanks. No such luck with my social media icons. Are you also using Joomla 3.2 and the Game Magazine template?

If I knew what to edit in the /templates/gk_game_magazine/html/com_content/articles/default.php file, I'd give it a try myself. I hope teitbite sees this and gets back to me with some kind of a fix.

I also heard from a Gavick tech that the 3.2 compatible template for Game Magazine would be available today. Maybe the one I updated to yesterday wasn't actually compatible?

Best,
Railer
Gold Boarder

teitbite
Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:41 pm
Hi

For an article and social icons please replace file /html/com_content/article/default.php with the one attached.

GK User
Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:32 pm
Thanks teitbite,

The default.php file did the trick. I'm only seeing one article now, plus the social media icons are there. Thanks so much!

What did you edit in the default.php file to fix the issue? I need to do the same thing for the category blog view, which is also displaying each article intro twice.

Oh, and how can I do a layout override so that I can arrange the social media icons in across the bottom, but in such a way as to not overwrite them when updating the template?

Best,
Railer
Gold Boarder

teitbite
Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:57 pm
Hi

There are 2 versions of content displayed by this file: <gavern:desktop></gavern:desktop> and <gavern:mobile></gavern:mobile>

Looks like in Your case it was not recognized properly. We had a similar problem with old PHP version, looks like it's back with the latest as well :(

Solution is to remove whole <gavern:mobile></gavern:mobile> part and the starting and finishing line for <gavern:desktop></gavern:desktop>

GK User
Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:14 pm
teitbite wrote:Solution is to remove whole <gavern:mobile></gavern:mobile> part and the starting and finishing line for <gavern:desktop></gavern:desktop>

Hi Tietbite,

Thanks for your reply. Regarding this issue in category blog menu items, the file /templates/gk_game_magazine/html/com_content/default.php & default_items.php do not appear to have the sections <gavern:mobile> and <gavern:desktop> you refer to.

Maybe you weren't aware of this. Any other solution?

Thanks,
Railer
Gold Boarder

teitbite
Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:03 am
Hi

I took the examples of this code from a copy of The World News II so they are present in my copy of this template. Please show me Your site. I'll see why is it different.

GK User
Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:59 am

I took the examples of this code from a copy of The World News II so they are present in my copy of this template. Please show me Your site. I'll see why is it different.

Hi Teitbite,

I've got a ticket going which Bartlomiej is working on. I think he is going to update the template files, since updating it to the Joomla 3.2 files didn't solve the problem.

I've PM'd the URL of the category blog page to you.

If you think you can provide a solution, that would be great.

Thanks,
Railer
Gold Boarder

teitbite
Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:27 pm
Hi

Looks like it's the exact problem I was talking about. I can see "<gavern:mobile>" and "<gavern:desktop>" in the code, but I believe the layout You have selected for this is "blog", so a file which need to be edited is blog_item.php

I'm attaching a file with removed <gavern:mobile> part.

GK User
Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:54 pm
Same problem :-/

Last week before I reinstalled the page, everything was working fine with a fixed default.php (com_content/article) from a different template thread in this forum.

Now after reinstalling news2 I have the same issua again. I replaced the php. but nothing changed. I also looked for ":mobile" sections. and "desktop" sections but in the com_content/article php was nothing like that.

In the category blog_item I found something and removed the whole sections but nothing happend.

Could you provide me the previous attachments unless they arent accessible at the moment.

Kind regards.
Junior Boarder

GK User
Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:45 pm
- I checked that all caches and css settings are 'on' or enabled / all gk_caches are installed.
- I checked the default.php in /template/html/com_content/article and in /com_content/ category / blog_item.php /all mobile sections are out.

Where could be the mistake ? I can't go on working on the site :cry:

Can anybody send me the working "php" files for the template ?

Thanks in advance.
Junior Boarder

teitbite
Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:32 pm
Hi

Please disable cache and show me the exact page You have this problem. Just an example so I'll see which file to fix and attache.

GK User
Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:46 pm
That would be great :-) thank you.

http://pugis.aragri.de/

I disabled all caches in the template's settings
Junior Boarder

teitbite
Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:32 pm
Hi

I've been to Your site, but I cannot find the page where the content is doubled. Please tell me exact urls to pages where I can see it.

GK User
Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:19 am
Hi,

I also found the following typo in my template:
Code: Select all

I fixed this typo by editing "/templates/{templatename}/html/com_content/category/blog_item.php" and replacing:

with:
<h2><gavern:gk_collapsible/>

My problem is that fixing this typo does not fix the bug causing articles to be displayed twice. This bug also causes the website to display the desktop version on mobile devices. I've also tried removing the <gavern:mobile> section from the file and although this fixes the bug causing the articles to be displayed twice, the website is still displays the desktop version on mobile devices.

My web host automatically updates maintenance builds of PHP, so while the website was previously working on a earlier maintenance build of PHP 5.4, I'm guessing a recent update now causes this problem.

I need to have both the desktop and mobile versions of the template working. What is the PHP bug that causes this issue?

Kind regards,
Dave.
Senior Boarder

teitbite
Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:33 am
Hi

Unfortunately, as You've noticed this is connected with a PHP version. The only way would be to use a different method to determine if desktop or mobile content should be displayed. Please tell me the url to the page with an example and send me an access to ftp, so I'll come up with a solution and will post it here.

GK User
Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:44 am
Hi,

I've disabled Joomla's system cache (I still have GK cache enabled in the template settings) and it looks like the mobile version of the website is now being correctly displayed. I'm wondering now whether there is a compatibility issue between certain versions of PHP and Joomla's system cache with how Gavern framework detects desktop/mobile versions? I'll keep a close look at the website to see whether this problem is permanently solved.

Kind regards,
Dave.
Senior Boarder

teitbite
Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:06 am
Hi

Yes, that's exactly the problem since it's happening only to some server configurations. Anyway our cache was to just fix a small problem regarding using a joomla cache which has been fixed by joomla developers already, so using our cache is not neccessary anymore and as I believe this problem is not happening in such configuration. Thank You for reminding this.

GK User
Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:30 pm
Hi,

Just to be clear, should I or should I not enable GK cache? I am currently using Joomla! 2.5.18

Kind regards,
Dave.
Senior Boarder

teitbite
Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:17 pm
Hi

Our cache is using a default joomla cache (even if disabled) with couple of additional lines to fix some problems, so if it's working for You while disabled, just leave it this way.

GK User
Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:29 pm
I have solved the issue with the "displaying". I corrected the php. as suggested above etc...

Now, I don't see any READMORE Button in my articles :-/
It is there, but it is invisible. I can click on it, but I dont see it :-/
In the configuration it is switched on.
The site is on: aktepe.org

Thanks in advance.
Junior Boarder

teitbite
Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:37 am
Hi

Can You please tell me an url to the page where this unvisible readmore is ?

GK User
Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:19 pm
So far, so good.
Thanks for the help.
We just tried to edit the CSS and changed the colors.
Now it looks better. The Test site is: aktepe.org
Junior Boarder

teitbite
Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:50 pm
Hi

Do You mean article called " Gänseliesellauf 2014". I believe this one has no "Read More" because it's being displayed in full, You need to add "Read More" line to it.

Remember me
Register New Account
If you are old Gavick user, click HERE for steps to retrieve your account.