Remove "Search" Function from top_nav menu

GK User
Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:57 pm
I am attempting to (unsuccessfully) remove the search function from the top_nav menu. The site is for an ultra clean restaurant site that does not need this functionality.

It appears the top menu, social icons, and search function are all together in some way. Not sure how or why they are connected like that???

I was able to remove some stuff from a css file earlier today, but it moved it, snapping it to the top. I replaced the code I removed and came here from help. Hope there is a simple solution!

Thanks in advance!

Craig
Expert Boarder

GK User
Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:13 pm
CORRECTION TO MY PROBLEM:

I have been working this so long I have lost track. The Search and Social Icons are together in the "Search" mod position. I want to get rid of search and only have the social icons.

Thank you!
Expert Boarder

GK User
Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:35 pm
Seriously? nobody knows?

Why in the world would the search feature be tied to the social icons anyway. The other templates are not like this?

I am frustrated.
Expert Boarder

GK User
Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:29 pm
In "joomla.css" I found the code for the search box. just deleting it made it jump from next to the social icons to the top, just right of the logo. There is additional code planted elsewhere that i just could not find.

I rigged it in the meantime. the search box was 140px wide. I just changed all the 140 values to 0, effectively hiding the search box. this was not the best solution, but I have given up on the real solution.
Expert Boarder

Konrad M
Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:20 pm
Hi
Can you give us url to your site?

GK User
Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:45 pm
Konrad- sorry about the delayed response. I have it situated now, although it probably wasnt the best solution deleting stuff in the CSS until I found the right solution.

Feel free to take a look at the completed site anyway if you think it might help you better understand what I was having trouble with as it might help others.

this is a client site that has launched, so I cannot provide access to the back-end. thanks for understanding :)

FYI- I am not crazy about the larger social icons... but the client gets what the client wants.

http://www.zenbistrotampa.com/
Expert Boarder

Konrad M
Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:44 pm
Just try add to override.css
Code: Select all
div.gkSearch {
 display:none;
}

and remember to enable overide.css option in template settings.

Remember me
Register New Account
If you are old Gavick user, click HERE for steps to retrieve your account.