utf8 for special charactersin k2

GK User
Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:54 pm
I tried to use k2 comments but german have some special like ü, ä, ö and ß. How can I change k2 to utf8 to use those special characters. I got something like that: �ber.

Thx a lot!
Gold Boarder

GK User
Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:45 pm
Hello,

First of all which fonts are used on your website? Most probably you are using some fonts without proper subsets, or german subset is not available in the font used on your website.
Administrator

GK User
Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:36 pm
Hi,
thanks for your reply. I use Lucida Grande for the headers and Verdana for the text itself. The problem only occurs when using k2. All "normal" joomla text and header display all special characters.
I changed font to Arial for the header but the problem is still there.
So I don't think it's a problem of the font-settings.

I now enabled the comments so that you can have a look at. I will disable later because it looks too strange.

http://www.sandra-eversberg.de/component/k2/entscheidungen-treffen

btw: is the only option to delete ../compontent/k2/... really to buy SEF-extension?! :blink:
Gold Boarder

GK User
Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:34 am
Unfortunately the provided URL is not working (it returns 404) - please send me a working URL.

Regarding the SH404 question - no, you can create a menu item which will link to K2 page and then the menu item alias will be used in the URL - please look at our demo pages - http://demo.gavick.com/joomla25/musicst ... music-news - in this case "k2" is generated by the "Blog" menu item, "k2-categories" is generated by the "Categories" submenu item and "music-news" is generated by the sub-submenu item "Music News" :)
Administrator

GK User
Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:42 am
I played arount with SEF in k2 and got the following result: http://www.sandra-eversberg.de/blog/17- ... t-bekommen, much better even though still too long. However you find the comment function there - and unfortunately the characterset which doesn't work with german special characters.

Thanks for your help!
Gold Boarder

GK User
Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:15 pm
Please make sure that you have saved the edited files with UTF-8 encoding, because as I see used font supports the german characters.
Administrator

GK User
Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:18 pm
Could you please explain what you mean for absolut beginners. Where and how do I save the files with utf-8 encoding?
Gold Boarder

GK User
Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:20 pm
You have to read a manual of your text editor and find a settings for the files encoding.
Administrator

GK User
Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:28 pm
I enabled utf-8 encoding in my editor (jce). And I don't find it logical why in all joomla content the characters are shown properly only in k2 they are not. For all content I used jce editor with the same settings.
Gold Boarder

GK User
Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:29 pm
I mean the editor used to editing files not content on the page. Because it seems that the K2 item form was saved with non-utf8 encoding or the german language file is wrongly saved.
Administrator

GK User
Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:36 pm
OMG!! Got it!!
You're right - normally I work with the english versions because some tranlations are not what I find helpful (sometimes worse to understand than the english version - I got now the germany languagepack and with it also the utf-8 encoding !! Thanks a lot!! Sometimes one miss the forest for the trees...
Gold Boarder

Remember me
Register New Account
If you are old Gavick user, click HERE for steps to retrieve your account.