Update to com_virtuemart override

GK User
Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:29 am
I’ve learned a lot on this problem, so at this point I’m just looking for a smidge of advice (in resolving my last site development issue).

The problem I’m having: finished my site, then discovered the cart prices in Virtuemart are not showing up after a VM update. I have VM 2.0.12b, (and Joomla 1.73). My hope is to NOT update to VM 2.0.12f (unless it is a must) as I see too many posts on 12f issues.

The actual problem is: I have learned that cart prices in 2.0.12b aren’t showing because I’m not on the latest esport template version, and that the override for com_virtuemart is causing my problem. So, I want to first fix this file to resolve the problem.

My Question 1st is:
Can I just use the latest download from esport, then extract and replace the com_virtuemart file (meaning take the extracted file and literally ftp or replace it over the one I have in my file manager?) I don’t have experience, so if this is an amateur question, I’m confessing I’m still learning here!

My first goal: If that fixes the issue and I have a full working cart (with prices, etc), I have no other technical issues in my site! I can open the doors for business. ;)

Question 2: after the above, I could work on a full scale update - first fully update the esport to latest, then update to VM 2.0.12f (or VM 2.0.14?). If I encounter lots of extra code issues from this, I could revert back to the above saved backed up (the working version of the site). Or do it on localhost or as a secondary off-line process, then replace it if all is good (won't hold my breath on that one). :sick:

After testing the above, if all looks good, do I need to upgrade to J 2.5? If yes, do I need to do anything extra with the previous step 2 update to esport template or virtuemart?

:S Sorry these are simpleton questions, but for me this is a big leap – at this point, setbacks would probably test my cardiac capacity. I first really want to establish a “DONE SITE” - I can always just revert back if things go poorly (that’s why I’m trying to accomplish step one, solve the cart price issue, as my first priority).

Thanks for the help!
Expert Boarder

GK User
Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:48 am
The best solution is firstly update template to latest supported by template version so 2.0.12f. Then please just download latest package from our site go to template directory and overwrite (update) html/com_virtuemart folder. Then copy also vm.css file - this should resolve your problem.
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:43 pm
It went mostly well, the cart now is working properly, I need to run it all the way through a purchase still, guest check out - etc, but the price issue and the cache issue are now fixed :D

Q: I did have something else new develop, should be easy to figure out but some help (see screen shot), the virtuemart category description for all the categories is doubling up.

Q: And just to check on this, the virtuemart forum told me I was loading jquery twice, so inside the configuration settings I left the tick on for using virtuemart jquery and removed the tick for google external jquery (please confirm if this is what they were talking about).

Thanks!
Expert Boarder

GK User
Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:04 am
update - I fixed the double description by removing the echo in com_virtuemart >category >default.php
so that's off the list.

Also, to ask the other question over again - this was the advice I got from the moderator at Virtuemart as I asked him also to clarify the loading twice of jquery, this was his advice:

When you develop your site i suggest you to disable cache, css & jss files optimization and compressing. Clean your cache, test your site. When you will finish will all of your site then you should start testing caching and css/js compression because as you will see css/js and caching produces a lot of issues and will be the last step you have to do before you go live with your site.

So, I guess this is advice for the next time? I think I'm good now (unless he is saying I need to do the things now?), but I know they don't normally give template advice - so wanted to ask your advice on it. Should I go back and disable all these, clear all cache, enable, and retest?

Thanks!
Expert Boarder

GK User
Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:28 am
...and I think I still load jquery twice, where is that coming from?
Expert Boarder

GK User
Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:24 am
I think that you have wrongly configured cache. Please disable it for tests and remove the old cached version. Our template is not loading jQuery - only VM, K2 or some other 3rd party extension can load this library so please look at settings of VM.
Platinum Boarder

Remember me
Register New Account
If you are old Gavick user, click HERE for steps to retrieve your account.