Mobile layouts home page

October 08 Joomla Templates
GK User
Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:01 am
Running Joomla! 2.5.7
Looking for a way to have a different "Default page" for the mobile layout then the "Default page" for the desktop layout.

My menu structure:

Desktop Layout:
Main Menu > Home (set as default menu item)

Mobile Layout for example iPhone:
Mobile Main Menu > Mobile Home

The problem is when loading from a mobile device it loads the iPhone layout (as expected) but loads the Desktop Home page (or "Default menu item").
Less then ideal as my home page uses modules only, and they don't look good on mobile.

Is there a way to make this "Mobile Main Menu > Mobile home" as the default menu item for my mobile layouts while keeping "Main Menu > Home" as the default menu item for the desktop layout?

If not i think it time for me to find a new template, and structure for our site :D

Thanks for any ideas anyone has for this issue
Fresh Boarder

Konrad M
Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:09 pm
Hi,
can you give us url to your website ?

GK User
Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:57 am
@ Konrad,

The issue is this for example...

If you are using Template Basic Settings Main Body - FrontPage = Mainbody Only

Menus Desktop Main Menu > Home type = Single article (Some article on hidden menu)

Menus Mobile Menu > Home type = Category Blog (featured items)

When you visit the Desktop view you see only the modules assigned to that page with no articles or component content!

When you visit the Mobile view you see the article used on the hidden menu for the desktop view. To see the Mobile Home view you need to access it from the menu at which point you will see the Featured Article Blog.

The problem is that the default page is assigned to the desktop main menu Home menu option and can't be overridden by the mobile template. Every time a mobile client lands on the mobile home page they will be presented with whatever is assigned as the Default Page, which can be undesirable as in the example above. On the desktop view it's not an issue because the article is never rendered and only the meta data is included in the page source.

What is needed is a method of defining the default page for mobile clients independently of the one defined for the desktop view, which maybe easier said than done as I think that's a core function of Joomla.

If you need to see the issue on a site then I can provide you with access to a dev site where this is a problem. I will need to send the details via PM - if that's OK let me know.
Expert Boarder

Konrad M
Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:27 am
@Aghost
yes, please send me PM with access to dev site. Remember to add link to this topic too.

Remember me
Register New Account
If you are old Gavick user, click HERE for steps to retrieve your account.