favicon disappear

Create unique look and build successful ecommerce website with eShop Joomla template.
GK User
Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:56 am
I have made everything possible with this, but nothing works.
I see favicon while the page is loading in firefox and after 1 second it disappear, and there is nothing then. not even the default little page. Nothing.

In IE the e icon of internet explorer is in the place of the favicon ico all the time, so nothing happens there either.

In google chorme works.

Please help me for the solution. Thank you very much.
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:19 am
Can you show us your site ?
Where did you place your favicon.ico file ?
Expert Boarder

GK User
Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:47 pm
in the place where the favicon goes, in templates/gk_eshop_dark

i think there is an error or something similar in the code of the template. I installed this in two different servers to test it and in both servers happen the same.

I hope your helpe, thank you very much.
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:13 pm
hi again, i just added this code I found in a page on internet, in the index.php of the template inside <head> </head>:

<LINK REL="icon" HREF="favicon.ico" TYPE="image/x-icon">
<LINK REL="shortcut icon" HREF="favicon.ico" TYPE="image/x-icon">

and now it works well in Firefox.

So now the only one problem is in Internet Explorer. Nothing works with that? I hate IE.
What can I do for IE see my favicon.ico? thanks a lot!
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:09 pm
IE refresh the favicon a little later so the only thing you have to do is to give it a little more time.
Expert Boarder

GK User
Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:11 am
Well the problem with IE is that my favicon.ico was a png that I have change the extension for .ico

It must be a real .ico so I have convert the .png with an online program to a real .ico and now it is working on IE.
Buuut now it dont work in Google Chorme. That's incredible!!!
I will continue investigating why and if I have to put another code more.
In Firefox and IE 8 works ok now just with the adition of the code above and make a real .ico
Thank you! bye!
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:04 am
well, I found the error and was mine when I tested several things I added a / to the code above that was wrong.
Everything works ok also in Google Chrome with the code above, exactly as I wrote it and the convertion of the .png to a real .ico (not rename the .png as .ico because it will not work)
Thank you! I posted what I did because if other person have the same problem, can see the solution.
Bye!
Fresh Boarder

Remember me
Register New Account
If you are old Gavick user, click HERE for steps to retrieve your account.