TORONTO - For the first time in his NHL career

Corporate Ltd is perfect choice for your next business Joomla website
GK User
Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:10 am
TORONTO - For the first time in his NHL career, James Reimer didnt allow a puck to get past him in a game. Replica Terrell Owens Jersey . But it was a handful shots that never made it through that had the Toronto Maple Leafs goalie most excited. Tim Brent put on a shotblocking clinic during a stirring 5-on-3 penalty kill Thursday, desperately throwing his body in front of a handful of pucks in Torontos 3-0 victory over the Carolina Hurricanes. Luke Schenn and Francois Beauchemin also blocked some shots during a two-man disadvantage that lasted one minute 36 seconds in the second period. It was a key sequence that helped the rookie goaltender register his first NHL shutout in just his ninth appearance. "I didnt really think it was going to come this soon, I wasnt really expecting it," said Reimer. "Its nice to get. I wish I could take credit for it, but I cant -- the team played phenomenal today." A hooking penalty to Reimer put the Leafs down two men and the subsequent penalty kill might have drawn the loudest ovation from the crowd at Air Canada Centre all season. Brent is a journeyman AHLer who has caught on with the Maple Leafs in a checking role this season. He was all over the ice during the big penalty kill -- even blocking one shot in a sensitive area: "The men in the room would understand how much (that) hurt," he said -- and had players from both teams praising the effort. "He was paying the price," said Hurricanes captain Eric Staal. "I was laying into them as hard as I could. I thought if I could get it by it him, it had a pretty good chance of going in the net." Added Leafs forward Kris Versteeg: "That was one hell of a shift by that kid." Reimer was probably the most appreciative of all. "I was about to take off my pads and give them to him," he said. "I think he blocked about 30 or 40 shots there." Versteeg, Clarke MacArthur and Darryl Boyce had the goals for Toronto (21-25-5), which shut out a team for the first time this season. The Leafs have been blanked eight times. Carolina saw its record fall to 25-21-6 -- leaving it one point behind eighth-place Atlanta in the Eastern Conference standings. Reimers emergence has been a big surprise in Toronto, where hes elbowed Jonas Gustavsson out of a job for the time being. The Monster watched Thursdays game from the pressbox while J.S. Giguere served as backup. Leafs coach Ron Wilson was intentionally cautious in his assesment of Reimers play, but made it pretty clear who his two goalies are likely to be for the final 31 games of the regular season. "I have no hesitation to play him or (Giguere)," said Wilson. "I think its horses for courses right now." The most important of Reimers 27 saves came on a Chad LaRose breakaway late in the second period. It ensured that the Leafs entered the final 20 minutes with a 2-0 lead. "He made a big save on Rosie," said Staal. "That would have cut it to 2-1 and were feeling better going into the third period. But it was too late for us to get it going." Hurricanes goalie Cam Ward made one of the best saves of the entire NHL season in the third period, when he dove across his net and miraculously got a glove on Brents shot. The Leafs forward figured it was payback for the nice short-handed goal he scored against Ward a little over a week ago. "Im going to be on the other end of the highlight I think now," said Brent. The most interesting storyline around the Leafs over the balance of the season is how they handle the goaltenders. Reimer earned his first callup in December when Giguere suffered a groin injury and has been back and forth to the AHL once since. This time, it looks like hell be around for awhile. "Obviously Im aware of the situation," said Reimer. "My job security up here, there isnt much of that. But as soon as I let those thoughts creep into my mind, Im going to get nervous out there and its going to get to me. "Ive just got to forget about it and focus on what I can control." Notes: Boyce left the game in the second period after cutting his face on the hole in the glass for photographers and didnt return ... Gustavsson has made one appearance since Jan. 7 ... Carolinas Jussi Jokinen sat out with a lower-body injury. The Hurricanes have just 25 man games lost to injury this season ... Tomas Kaberle has played 871 career games as a Leaf -- 669 more than Nikolai Kulemin, the next highest among current players ... Fergie Jenkins dropped the puck on the ceremonial faceoff ... Announced attendance was 19,220. Premier Shonn Greene Jersey . [PROVIDED TO CHINA DAILY] SHANGHAI - Authorities in Nanjing, capital of Jiangsu province, are mulling building a memorial hall at the site of the No 4 Plastics Factory, where a powerful explosion on July 28 killed 13 people and injured hundreds. Pittsburgh Steelers Troy Polamalu Jersey . The CFL announced Sunday that Armours ejection from Saturday nights 22-21 loss to the Saskatchewan Roughriders was unwarranted. Chad Ochocinco Jersey . Members at Aronimink Golf Club in suburban Philadelphia are to vote Oct. 15 on whether to accept a proposal to host Woods AT&T National for two years, in 2010 and 2011, while Congressional Country Club undergoes renovation for the 2011 U. Authentic Heath Miller Jersey . Boston has won four of five games and is 2-1 on the trek following Saturdays 99-92 victory over the Los Angeles Clippers at Staples Center. Paul Pierce scored 24 points, Ray Allen had 22 and Kevin Garnett finished with 16 points and 11 rebounds for the Celtics. Authentic Denarius Moore Jersey . Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said Francisco, who is tied for the major league lead with nine saves, may be lost for the entire three-game series against the Seattle Mariners. Authentic Jermichael Finley Jersey . It was the third straight game that required overtime to determine a winner. This time, the Sharks were able to sneak a puck past Colorados Craig Anderson and not their own goaltender. San Jose left winger Ryane Clowe started a rush out of the defensive zone. Authentic Vincent Jackson Jersey . Riesch, who led after the first run, nearly skidded off the top section but recovered to finish in 59.17 seconds and win with a combined time of 1:52.98, 1.48 seconds better than Vonn. Premier New England Patriots Jersey . The 38-year-old veteran luge racer will become the first athlete to compete at seven Winter Games if he qualifies for the Italian team.KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia -- Canadian qualifier Milos Raonic upset seventh seed Sergiy Stakhovsky of Ukraine 6-7 (10), 7-6 (9), 6-3 on Wednesday, continuing his winning ways at the Malaysian Open. The 19-year-old from Thornhill, Ont., came into the tournament without a win on the ATP Tour. Now he has two and has reached the quarter-finals. Raonic, ranked No. 237 in the world, took just under two and a half hours to dispose of the world No. 31 who has won two titles this season. Raonic (pronounced ray-o-nich) played down his biggest career accomplishment, saying he also had some luck on court. "It was good, I had chances in the first set with two set points. But even through I didnt convert them, I kept my composure, thats something I sometimes dont do. "I just took care of my service games and that was enough today." Raonic fired 15 aces -- he had 23 in the first round against Russian Igor Kunitsyn -- and broke Stakhovsky twice on the way to victory. "I felt confident going into the second even if he had more set points, which I saved," he said. "It was good going into the third set and it all paid off for me. "This win is a good thing for me and my ranking. My goal this week was to just be a contender." The six-foot-five Canadian will meet Igor Andreev in the quarter-finals Friday. Andreev upset fellow Russian and defending champion Nikolay Davydenko 7-6 (7-5), 5-7, 6-3 in two hours 47 minutes. It was Andreevs first victory over Davydenko in seven years. Davydenko, who had a first-round bye, looked to be on course for a relatively straightforward victory when he led 5-1 in the first-set tiebreak, but Andreev found his range with his forehand and rattled off six points in a row to steal it. Davvydenko raced to a 5-1 lead in the second set, and although Andreev fought back to level it 5-5, Davydenko took the next two games to make it one set apiece. Premier Pittsburgh Steelers Jersey. . Andreevs more aggressive approach in the deciding set paid dividends as Davydenko began to wilt in the heat. "I played better than expected and even Im surprised I won today," the No. 102-ranked Andreev said. "My forehand really paid off today and I think that was the difference between us. "I got a lot of confidence from my fightback in the first-set tiebreak and the second set so I was more confident going into the decider. Im really looking forward to playing in the quarter-finals on Friday." A disappointed Davydenko refused to blame his late arrival to Kuala Lumpur for his defeat but instead said the Wilson balls were not to his liking. "Im used to Dunlop balls and found the ones in the tournament not as good," Davydenko said. "But credit to Igor as he was on top of his game and he played better then me. I will have to pick myself up." Meanwhile, fourth seed Mikhail Youzhny of Russia worked hard for his 6-1, 5-7, 7-5 victory over Ukraines Alexandr Dolgopolov. Youzhny, who also received a bye in the first round, won an easy first set 6-1, but Dolgopolov upped his game in the second. Both players then held serve in a finely balanced final set until the Russian finally broke his opponent in the 11th game to set up his victory. "The first set was easy as he (Dolgopolov) made a lot of mistakes. Then in the second set, he played well and I made mistakes. But Im happy with the way I played overall and hope to play better in the next game," Youzhny said. ------ With files from The Associated Press. ' ' '
Fresh Boarder

Remember me
Register New Account
If you are old Gavick user, click HERE for steps to retrieve your account.