Add a link to display VM category but not to menu

Change your online store into modern look with myStore eCommerce VirtueMart Joomla template - discussion forum.
GK User
Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:26 pm
Hi all,

I am looking to use the bottom modules for my customers to search by colours.

What I am looking to do is add a new category for Red, then associate the Red products to that category, so when someone clicks on the 'Red' link, it will display a list of all 'Red' products.

Is there anyway that I can do this, without allocating the Red Category to the Main Menu.

I am looking to have the one of the bottom modules called 'Filter by Color', which will have Red, Blue etc.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Prit
Gold Boarder

GK User
Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:18 am
Why don't you simply use custom html module and add the links manually or do you have too many colors to add :)
Alternatively there are commercial filtering extensions / modules for virtuemart which you can find in joomla extensions > virtuemart extensions.

See you around...
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:10 pm
Hi,

Thanks for your e-mail. Currently what I do is create the Category, then create a menu in the 'Main Menu' and assign that category to that menu. This enables me to get the URL. Then what I do is use the bottom module and use the category as an external link.

The problem occurs when I unpublish the category from the menu and get the 404 page cannot be dispayed.

What I would like to happen is not have the category appearing in a number of places, but simply have a number of categories in the bottom menu.

I hope this makes sense and someone can assist.

Thanks in advance.

Prit
Gold Boarder

GK User
Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:17 pm
Why don't you create a menu item for shop frontpage and call it "Shop" and access your category links from there so you only have 1 menu item in menu and then you can get links to categories from there then links should work fine in your bottom modules.

See you around...
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:25 pm
Hi,

Thanks for you quick response. Is it possible to link to the category without creating a menu item. As in literally have a link from the bottom module URL directly to the required category?

Thanks,

Prit
Gold Boarder

GK User
Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:33 pm
You can but then that would make your urls funny such as below.

www.mysite.com/component/virtuemart/category/item

So I suggest you just create 1 single menu item, menu item type Virtuemart > Front Page and call it Shop. You don't have to have this menu item in main menu.

Simply create another menu and add it there as long as it is active joomla won't complain.

So then you can access your categories from this link and get their links as well as keeping a nice user friendly urls.

See you around...
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:38 pm
Hi,

Thanks again for your quick response - that worked perfectly.

Thank you very much for your help - much appreciated.

:D

Prit
Gold Boarder

GK User
Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:13 pm
No problem at all, see you around...
Platinum Boarder

Remember me
Register New Account
If you are old Gavick user, click HERE for steps to retrieve your account.