Adding additional module positions

Joomla template for easily build sports magazine website with advanced content display features and clean, unique design.
GK User
Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:01 pm
Hello.

The problem I am facing at the moment is adding 4 additional module positions left and right from the main body of the template - as shown on example image attached.

I have already read your article "How to add a new module position ?" in documentation section, but looks like my case needs a little more than that.

I have a little research and I guess I need to create 2 new layout blocks (one - for module pos.1 and pos.2, and another for module pos.3 and pos.4), but I am scared I could not handle it by my own without your help.

Can I get some help? How to add new blocks and position them on right places? Than adding module positions to them?

I will appreciate your help,

Sincerely,

Ignotus
Senior Boarder

GK User
Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:24 am
The thing You are trying to do would require not only to add additional modules to layout, but also to rewrite a lot of css (to make site wider). I would suggest another method - You could add them anywhere on layout and then use absolute positioning (relative to body for example) to push those elements outside the body.
Sadly - its customization that we don't support, and I can only assist You with small problems, not with complete solution.

GK User
Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:48 pm
Hi.

I completely understand you. Also I like your suggestion too. Sounds like a lot easier way.

I guess I am able to add those modules by following your article "How to add a new module position ?", but please explain me where and how exactly to change their positions to be absolute, relative to body?

Appreciate it,

Sincerely,

Ignotus
Senior Boarder

GK User
Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:09 am
Its css stuff. If You make position:relative on body element with css, then any element that is a child of the body (direct, undirect) positioned absolutely is taken out from html flow, and can be moved anywhere. Using negative positioning (for example in left column, You would need to use position: absolute, left: -200px; to move it 200 px to the left of main column) allows to move elements outside parent box.

Please read about absolute positioning and using negative values. Also reading about negative margins might be helpful.

GK User
Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:10 am
And if it goes to placing modules - in template folder /layouts/default.php You can place them just before closing body. If body is relative and modules absolute, You can position them anywhere.

GK User
Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:07 am
Hi.

I have added a first module position successfully. I called it "side1" and I put a sample image in it just to see where is it now.

As you have told me I have added the new module just before </body> tag. So in frontend image (module) is positioned in a very bottom left corner of my pages, and stays there if zooming in and out browsers window too.

So the part I want you to make me clear is - Did you mean I have to make body to be positioned relative, and my new module to make it positioned absolute? If yes - please explain me how to make body positioned relative. If not please take give me some advices and make me more clearer please how to go further.

Thank you so much.

Sincerely,

Ignotus
Senior Boarder

GK User
Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:07 pm
The easiest solution would be to use override.css (enable it first in template settings):
Code: Select all
body {position: relative}
#myCustomModuleId {position: absolute; top: 50px; left: -200px; widt: 200px;}

GK User
Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:57 pm
Hi.

I added this code to my override.css

body {position: relative;}
.newstyle {position: absolute; top: 50px; left: 200px; width: 200px;}

It is going to final solution, but my module is positioned relative to upper left corner of my browser page, and not related to body.

Please help me how to make .newstyle absolute but related to body.

Appreciate your help,

Sincerely,

Ignotus
Senior Boarder

GK User
Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:23 am
Could You please post an url to your site?

GK User
Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:23 pm
Hello.

I have already sent you my access data to pm.

Website is http://e-tribina.com

Sincerely,

Ignotus
Senior Boarder

GK User
Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:21 pm
Sorry, but I'm answering a lot of questions and don't remember who send me details and who not ;).
Is any of this new module published on your site?

GK User
Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:23 pm
Hello.

No problem at all.

Yes new module position is "side1" and module "test_side1" is showing image 300x300px is it. But module is turned off at the moment. Please use admin login data I have sent you on PM to turn it on when you need.

Thank you,

Sincerely,

Ignotus
Senior Boarder

GK User
Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:34 pm
Hello.

Have you found a solution, please?

I lost a lot of time on this problem...and my clients expiate because of that.

Please help,

Waiting for your answer,

Ignotus
Senior Boarder

GK User
Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:21 pm
Sorry for the delay, but still I don't see those modules published on your site :(.

GK User
Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:29 pm
Hello.

I have gave you my admin access, and described which module postition and module displayed in it are in questtion...

Sir, I can turn it on, but I have clients on site, an taht module makes it very ugly - because it is a test module...and I think you are not able to be there in the moment I turn it on. So I tought that it is better you to turn it on when needed..If you are not agree just tell me.

I will send you my access data to pm again, in case you have a lot of private messages.

Please lets get this to the end, it is a long time we are chatting here...It is very pleasant to chat with you, but bussiness is bussines...:D

p.s. You have a pm.

Thanks,

Sincerely,

Ignotus
Senior Boarder

GK User
Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:51 pm
Ok, I have checked it with module test_side1 and it showed picture almost in correct place. There is also inline css (You haven't used override.css file but override textbox in template).
However:
newstyle {
position: absolute;
top: 126px;
left: 200px;
width: 200px;
}

This code is almost correct, You need to change 2 things:
.newstyle {
position: absolute;
top: 0px;
left: -200px;
width: 200px;
}
#gkWrapperTop {position: relative;}

This will place new module almost where it should be, just please change one more thing in default.php - mode module callout from end of body to file:
layout/blocks/nav.php

just after:
<div id="gkWrapperTop" class="gkWrap">

Sorry, cant do it for You, its over our support, but still much of the work is done, so You should be able to finish.

GK User
Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:43 pm
O thank you.

Everything is ok now.:)

You have really make my day(s).:)

Should I add other 3 module positions to layout/blocks/nav.php too?

Thank you so much!

Sincerely,

Ignotus
Senior Boarder

GK User
Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:38 pm
You could either add additional 3 modules, or only one more (so there are two), because You can publish more than one module in one module position :).
With right module, position it with use of "right" instead of "left". Add second one just below first one.

GK User
Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:45 pm
Got it.;)

Thank you Cyberek.

I really appreciate your help!

Sincerely,

Ignotus
Senior Boarder

GK User
Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:38 am
Sorry it took so long, but I'm glad its finally working the way You want.

Remember me
Register New Account
If you are old Gavick user, click HERE for steps to retrieve your account.