Will there be a Joomla 3 version of Pixellove

Modern and unique personal portfolio Joomla template ideal for work presentation - support forum.
GK User
Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:47 am
Hi Support

I probably missed some published news, but will Pixellove ever be converted to Joomla 3. I really do like this template.

Thanks
bigears
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:54 am
Hi, thanks for good review but Pixellove is old template from May 2011, so probably we won't migrate this one.
I suggest to use Fashion (https://www.gavick.com/joomla-templates/fashion,90.html) which is similar but uses light colors and works on J3.0. I think it isn't a problem to change few css styles to make it dark. :silly:
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:14 am
Do the Gavick team consider changing a companies branding and web presence/identity every two years as a good idea? Is it reasonable to expect companies who have invested in building a site based on a particular style and design to scrap the design every two years?

Personally I don't subscribe to that notion! Keeping a site evolving with changes in web design standards is one thing but trashing a site design is ludicrous. This is an even bigger problem for Gavick members because there seems to be a total switch to responsive designs, which may not be a desirable option for many sites. Design and concepts are giving way to bland repetitive templates which are totally uninspiring. Not that this is anything new it's just a repeat of the fluid over fixed argument. There are situations where one design method may suite a site better than another but not all sites are suited to a single approach.

I would imagine there will be a back lash against the responsive craze when people start to realise that everything is starting to look and feel the same. Which is a very bad position to find yourself in an ever expanding market place. It's also depressing to see some nice web designs being dropped when the hardest thing is actually coming up with a good design concept in the first place. I think that long term Gavick will regret this disposable approach to their back catalog. I'm finding very few reasons to visit here these days and very little intensive to build sites using templates which have such a short life expectancy. I haven't downloaded one of the Gavick responsive designs which is zero templates in the last eleven months or so. Having said that the latest release may be suitable for a project in the pipeline and is tempting. The thought of a two year life expectancy is putting a dampener on that notion.

Unless you build a site in the first few months of release there is little or no point in investing time building a site on a Gavick design. It's for that reason that I have just subscribed to another template provider who maintains virtually all their designs. The idea being that continuity of clients branding is maintained even if the design maybe less innovative or creative.

At this point members would have to be insane using a template from the Gavick back catalog! Maybe you should remove all the templates which have no life left in them, or at least put a notice on each template page stating that this template probably won't be supported beyond two years of the release date.

It's also strange that many of the templates based on a framework tend to be supported long term, yet templates using the Gavern framework have a very short life expectancy. Doesn't that kind of defeat some of the advantages of framework based designs? :blink:

I doubt that there was any point in providing this feedback but it's something I feel needs to be discussed. Maybe I'm alone in my views on these issues. :blush:

Regards
Expert Boarder

GK User
Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:01 pm
Hi, in our all of our responsive templates -- apart from Music Free and Fashion, where we use masonry layout -- we added a new option called 'Disable Responsive Layout'.
We tried to make new templates were even better than the previous. Please note that the version of Joomla 3.0 is a temporary as opposed to Joomla 2.5. So sometimes it's better to wait for J3.5
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:26 pm
Hi,
I read about the addition of the option to disable responsive just after posting my reply to this topic, while going through the bog "Dev Update 13". That addresses part of the issue which other people were obviously also unhappy about. IMHO the last eleven templates from Gavick are very uninspiring.

I understand that things need to move forward and that Gavick need to keep up with current trends etc. What I don't understand is the willingness to cut off support for templates which are usable designs and fit the requirements of certain markets. Maybe for a personal blog site ditching the identity you build with your site appearance every two years is OK, but for a business site it's crazy! I also think there would be a number of people with personal sites who wouldn't be too impressed. The point is to keep evolving in a natural and progressive way. Chopping and changing a site design every two years with dramatic changes is very poor business practice in my humble opinion. In general users are not very accepting of change even if the change is an improvement.

I think I will need to stop using Gavick templates for business projects even though I find some of the designs from 2010, 2011 and early 2012 useful. I already have three sites which are screwed through lack of maintenance/discontinuation here. The crazy thing is these sites are all less than 12 months old. I now have to explain to people that there will need to be changes made to the appearance of their website. Some of these templates have had major changes made to the code - weeks of work lost. Compounded by the fact that it makes you look like an arse to the client. I could probably swallow losing hours of work - recovering from people perceiving you as idiot or a con artist is much harder to over come!

I have no confidence in Gavick as a template supplier any longer, because this has a very negative effect on my relationship with the people I build sites for and with.

I have sites from 2008 which still look fresh and have evolved to take into account web design trends and these templates are still supported. Most have been refactored to use the developers desired framework without which these templates may have been retired. The thing is that these older sites are established and their design is a vital factor in their web presence. One lady that owns one of these sites would probably kill me if I changed anything dramatically. Her site is her business and its design is a factor in that! Fortunately the source template for her site is still maintained, and is on a framework so the future for her site should be OK (It's not a Gavick/Gavern template). I have a site which is just about to go live based on the pixellove design, which the site owner insisted on using against my better judgment. I seriously wish I had never let him see the old Gavick designs! :(

I think that Gavick should make it quite clear in the sales pitch for their templates that they only have a 24 month life span from the date of release! I think people should be informed about this policy. It's a major factor in making a purchasing/design decision, for the company and the site developer/maintainer.

Sorry for yet another long winded post.

Oh and I think the addition of the none responsive option is a good one...other developers have been doing that for ages. All you need now is to get back to some innovative and interesting designs, instead of all these bland repetitive iTrend efforts. I thing anyone interested could find something to use out of the eleven recent additions to the catalog.

Cheers
Expert Boarder

GK User
Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:18 pm
Thumbs Up.
Pixel Love is a Great template. Consider Upgrading it to Joomla 3 please!
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:42 pm
Hmm, I can try to ask.
But as you know trends are changing and ... we are trying to coach a rabbit, if you know what I mean.
But sometimes, if I have clients and they ask me for such a change, I asked them about
if they are sure that they want this same template for years. Website is not a building and can be changed without asking a officials for permission. Second, I suggest to wait until J3.4 will be ready, now is alpha only. So you have at least 2 months to decide what to do.
If they need old layout ... maybe you can build very very similar using ready template framework: https://www.packtpub.com/web-developmen ... essentials
or just ask me via PM for little help.
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:51 pm
Is there any avenue to hire Gavick or the actual designer to convert Pixel Love to Joomla 3.X platform? Thanks for your time, may seem like I am beating a dead horse, but I thought I would ask about it as a paid service, i.e. I would pay for their time.

Regards,

Russell
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:57 pm
I asked... there is no chance. So official way will not help you.
But you can ask one/or/all of moderator here on GK forum if he would find time for you and for how much.

By the way, which Joomla version you're using J1.5 with Pixellove ?
If J1.5 it's in general migration not simple upgrade.
So I know it will cost some euro , I made it before few times.
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:48 am
My current site is Joomla 2.5 and I have a migrated one currently 3.3.6 that I am trying to set up theme wise similar to my 2.5 site www.3dallusions.com

I have hired people on oDesk to modify thems, etc. with not a lot of luck as they always seem to have problems and if I continued to pay it would probably get reolved eventually, but when you are handed over something supposedly done and you start loading modules into place and things are broken all over the place you start wondering if you would be throwing away money pursuing those avenues. Hence I came here to try and find people who were familiar with the theme already. If not I will keep plugging away at the "Fashion" template trying to come up with an acceptable solution.

Thanks for your response, if you are interested in looking at my site listed above and perhaps after the holidays you would be interested in taking a shot at it or suggesting someone.

Cheers!

Russell
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:40 am
I saw that 3dallusions need some hours of hard work to get better effects and fix some design & url issues.
You have few error404 and "Error loading component: com_community .." messages - so not all work well right now.
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:39 pm
Yes there is work to be done, last couple of years were terrible for hackers attacking my sites/server and then my server started acting up so I ordered a new one and it showed up at the colocation facility I keep mine at and it died before the technicians could transfer over my sites. So from the backups I have I got the sites up basically and migrated them all to Joomla 3.3.6 test sites so my programmers could update custom coding for Joomla 3 platform.

Meanwhile I have been trying to come up with a working template theme that ties into the basic styling my site has had, but I am an architect and not a web designer and have to figure things out by trial and error and the new responsive features are beyond my fumbling around skills and limited time so I have been trying to hire people who know what they are doing. I have devoted time into migrating all my sites to Joomla 3 and getting my studio site up and running as it is what generates money and pays the bills. Now I need to get 3DAllusions.com and MrMaterials.com up and running correctly (latter one has over 100,000 registered users and all that is just going to waste due to neglect.

Anyway, yes work needs to be done, but I don't want to waste it on the Joomla 2.5 version, I just got those back up so I could migrate, whatever I do I may have to pay for mods for Joomla 3.5, not certain, but need to move forward.
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:54 pm
there is not ready J3.5 yet and J3.4 is still in alpha version.
J2.5 have almost this same security level as it's in J3.3.x so on your place I would focus on good anti-hacker component.
_
Platinum Boarder

GK User
Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:43 pm
Oscar E wrote:there is not ready J3.5 yet and J3.4 is still in alpha version.
J2.5 have almost this same security level as it's in J3.3.x so on your place I would focus on good anti-hacker component.

I guess I am confused as Joomla.org seemed to basically say that 3.5 is the just a point release as they have re-evaluated their updating system so 3.3 is in the same family as 3.5 now. Hence, it is confusing why we wouldn't update to Joomla 3.3 ans 3.4 and 3.5 is just an update now? Sorry if I am dense or misinformed, but Joomla 2.5 is end of life this month so your advise to stay with it is confusing.

Regards,

Russell
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:15 am
End of line it doesn't mean they will Turn Off you Joomla.
I think more peace of mind, more trust in this CMS. I still know few websites which uses Joomla 1.5 and RSFirewall and ... still works.
You can always hire of GK moderator in January, February or March to help you with upgrade template into J3.3x
Platinum Boarder

Remember me
Register New Account
If you are old Gavick user, click HERE for steps to retrieve your account.