Vertical pictures, Project-Tags

Photo, amazing way to showcase your architecture, photography or artistic projects | Support forum.
GK User
Tue May 31, 2016 8:22 pm
Hi guys,
first let me tell you, that I love the photo template, it's very easy but extremely stylish, thank you. But I have again two questions.

First, I use it as presentation platform as photographer. The whole template seems to be optimized for horizontal photos, but as I love portraits I have many vertical pictures I would like to share on my page. So at the moment I forgo posting verticals or used a horizontal cutout. But this isn't saturating me.
So have you thought about a nice way of posting verticals? Is there any preset you included, which hasn't been detected by me?
Normally I use a single blog post for a single photo and I would like to add vertical pictures as featured article picture. At the moment the template just cuts out the middle part and zooms it such that the screen is filled. Is there any way to tell the program to do post the picture in the top without cutting it?

And is it possible to add code, such that clicking the picture starts the same script as when clicking a picture in a gallery? So I want the picture beeing showed as single picture slide show, just the same as if I click on a picture from [gallery columns="1" link="file" ids="100"].

And my second problem is, I usually use the project-credits and project-description tag in the user-defined fields area. But I would like to change the text which is displayed on the homepage. Where are these tags defined, I can't find them?

I hope you understand my wishes? Thank you very much for your help again.
Best wishes,
Martin
Fresh Boarder

Joshua M
Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:19 am
Hi,

Great to hear that your like our theme. Regardin your issues:

- custom fields like project-description are placed within Photo/content-header.php file, so you can change it here i.e "Credits" from line 70, but try to use Child theme instead of modifying theme files (because of future updates), you can also change these phrases by trasnlating your theme.

- regarding images on the single posts/pages, the image (header) height may be changed by adding the following custom css code:
Code: Select all

.single .entry-header,
          .page .entry-header {
             height: 1200px!important;
          }

I'm not sure about this fragment:
"And is it possible to add code, such that clicking the picture starts the same script as when clicking a picture in a gallery"
clicking which picture exactly? on the single post's header?

GK User
Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:00 pm
Thanks for your answer Joshua.

1. I haven't thought about using child themes. What's the advantage of those? Do you have a good tutorial or howto?
Probably translating the theme is the easiest way of doing what I want. But as with child themes I am not very deep into that coding stuff, so by now I haven't found out how to translate parts of the template, which surely would have been one of my further questions :-) Again if you know some good tutorial, post it. If not, no problem, as I'm now motivated I can google that :-)

2. I will try that code as soon as I find some time, hopefully on the weekend. But won't it change the height of the horizontal pictures, too, if implementing this code fragment?

Yeah you're right, my aim was clicking the single post's header picture, my backend is set to german, so I didn't know the correct name in english :-)
Fresh Boarder

Joshua M
Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:58 am
Hi,

1. When you are using a Child theme, there's no problem with future updates, all your custom modifications of theme files, should be moved to child theme. So if you want to modify content-header.php file, please copy it into your child directory and then modify. WordPress will load your overriden file (from child theme). More informations may be found here:
https://www.gavick.com/blog/modify-safe ... ild-themes

2. The code will change the height of the header (not image), so the effect depends on your images size, you should try and adjust the height value.

Unfortunately it's not possible to display your single post's header picture like pictures in a gallery - it requires script modifications.

GK User
Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:49 pm
Hi,
sorry for the late reply. I had no time to play with my hobby project :-)
Unfortunatelly now I found some time and first tried to install the child theme. And it worked, but I got some strange behaviour. As soon as I activated the child theme in the themes backend page and reloaded the frontpage I got the result, that all my written text was damaged. By damaged I mean that the words are divided at the end of a row without any "-" sign and outside all language rules. For example the word "heiraten" was divided into he-iraten which isn't allowed in german language. Do you have any idea about this strange occurence? I tried to do as written in your link.
Fresh Boarder

Joshua M
Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:00 am
Could you please provide me with a URL to your website and back-end access via PM (click the “Private Message” text underneath my avatar) so that I may analyze it?

GK User
Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:11 am
Hi,
I sent you a message with the data, such that you can check.

I tried to implement the code
.single .entry-header,
.page .entry-header {
height: 1200px!important;
}
for the horizontal pictures and it does what it should. But the problem is, the header area is then 1200px high for all pictures, even the rectangular ones which fitted before. Can I distinguish between these options somehow?
Fresh Boarder

Remember me
Register New Account
If you are old Gavick user, click HERE for steps to retrieve your account.