How to customize the theme?

GK User
Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:13 pm
Hello! I want to customize the theme TechNews right here https://demo.gavick.com/wordpress/technews/
I read the documentation but there not all set out. Please help!

Thank you!
Junior Boarder

GK User
Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:34 am
Could you please be more specific?

GK User
Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:49 pm
Well, here are a few questions that interest me:
1) What articles are displayed on top of the main page? I can't find this function when writing articles.
2) Why doesn't the profile icon (upper right corner)?
3) How to set icons? They don't work
4) How to get to the main page articles of another type, for example type "photograph", this type of articles have left of the old design.
5) How to insert the product rating in the article?

Thanks in advance!
Junior Boarder

GK User
Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:39 pm
Hi,
Regarding your issue:

1. Please check this aprt of documentation: https://www.gavick.com/wordpress-themes ... variations

2. The profile icon is changed to your gravatar if you are logged in (you should connect your email address with gravatar service).

3. Could you please provide your website URL? Then I'll be able to check the issue.

4. What section of the frontpage exactly do you mean?

5. Please check this part of documentation: https://www.gavick.com/wordpress-themes ... iew-scores

GK User
Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:05 pm
Hello!
My website tim4ous.com
Junior Boarder

GK User
Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:19 pm
So icons work properly in FireFox browser, please check this similar thread:
https://www.gavick.com/forums/technews- ... king-48859
We'll try to improve it with the next theme updates.

GK User
Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:39 pm
For some reason I didn't help your Board. Can I help you?
And I have a couple of questions:
1) How can I increase the number of characters in the articles on the main page? Are the words what's new? And why have there question marks? Please look on the website.
2) How will add the article to the reviews and videos? I wrote an article, how to make it visible on the main?
3) Why doesn't the captcha, I type the keys?

Thanks for the help!
Junior Boarder

GK User
Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:47 pm
Hi,

Regarding the question marks within your frontpage articles, please edit TechNews/template.frontpage.php file and change this fragment:
Code: Select all
<?php echo substr(get_the_excerpt(), 0, get_theme_mod('technews_frontpage_text_limit', '82')) .'...'; ?>

into:
<?php
   if(function_exists('mb_strlen')) {
      echo mb_substr(get_the_excerpt(), 0, get_theme_mod('technews_frontpage_text_limit', '82')) .'...';
   } else {
      echo substr(get_the_excerpt(), 0, get_theme_mod('technews_frontpage_text_limit', '82')) .'...';
   }
?>

We'll fix it with the next theme update. Amount of characters you may change in Customize -> Frontpage settings section.

2. You have to add a proper shortcodes, please check this part of the documentation:
https://www.gavick.com/wordpress-themes ... e-elements
and find the review and video sections.

3. Could you provide more details, what's wrong exactly with recaptcha?

BTW your icons are displayed properly now, did you change anything?

GK User
Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:14 pm
Thanks for the help, now no question marks.
As for the icons, I have updated the settings via the editor and they appeared.

I got public and private keys for the captcha, entered them in the admin panel, but the captcha didn't appear in contacts.

Also I wanted to ask You how to fix a bad displaying buddypress? And why don't I see the subscription form on the mailing list, if I set everything up and put the widget?

Thanks in advance!
Junior Boarder

GK User
Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:20 am
Hi,

Regarding the captcha, I've checked it and you're right, please edit your TechNews/functions.php file and add the following fragment:
   // Loads reCaptcha script on contact template pages
   if (is_page_template( 'template.contact.php' ) && get_theme_mod('technews_contact_enable_captcha', 0) == 1) {
      wp_enqueue_script( 'technews-captcha-script', 'https://www.google.com/recaptcha/api.js', array( 'jquery' ), false, false);
      }

around line 190 (before // Loads JavaScript file for responsive video. )

We'll fix it with the next theme update.

Regarding the BuddyPress - unfortunately the TechNews theme is not compatible with this plugin, so you may have some visual issues.

GK User
Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:34 pm
Hello!
Thanks for the help, please tell me why in the video section, they do not open in a popup window, but opens the article?
And where you can translate the phrase "Review by"?
Junior Boarder

GK User
Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:44 am
Did you add custom field "technews-featured-video" with your iframe.. as a value within your video post?
Example:
<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/y-waTi8BPdk" width="800" height="450" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

The "Review by" is included in News Show Pro langauge file, so it's enough to translate the plugin.

GK User
Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:47 pm
Piotr Kunicki wrote:Did you add custom field "technews-featured-video" with your iframe.. as a value within your video post?

Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean?

Piotr Kunicki wrote:The "Review by" is included in News Show Pro langauge file, so it's enough to translate the plugin.

In translating this plugin does not have this phrase
Junior Boarder

GK User
Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:36 am
Please check the screenshot - if you want to display videos, you have to add custom field with your video iframe as a value. - It's the only way to connect the video from your post with the frontpage shortcode.

Regarding the "review by" - the source is here: plugins/gk-nsp/article_wrappers/technews_reviews/technews_reviews.php
If this phrase is not included in the language file, I'll update it ASAP.

GK User
Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:43 pm
Thanks, did as you wrote, but why the video opens in a separate window and not in popup?
Junior Boarder

GK User
Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:02 am
Do you have the following attributes in your gknsp video shortcode?
technews_videos_popup_switcher="1" technews_videos_popup_w="640" technews_videos_popup_h="480"

GK User
Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:21 pm
yes
Junior Boarder

GK User
Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:28 pm
And I have more questions:
1. How to fill this empty space?
2. How to add widget most rated?
3. Why don't I see a popup window asking them to subscribe to the newsletter? I have set up
Junior Boarder

GK User
Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:14 pm
Hi,
Regarding your issues:
1. You can change amount of articles in Settings -> Reading "Blog pages show at most" option.
2. Please check the documentation: https://www.gavick.com/wordpress-themes ... ge-widgets and "The Most Rated Listing" section
3. Could you send me a PM with backend access? Then I'll be able to check the issue.

GK User
Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:28 pm
access to admin panel?
Junior Boarder

GK User
Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:54 am
Yes, I need to check your newsletter and other settings.

GK User
Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:36 pm
I sent
Junior Boarder

GK User
Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:28 pm
tim4ous wrote:Thanks, did as you wrote, but why the video opens in a separate window and not in popup?

Video doesn't appear on homepage
Junior Boarder

Joshua M
Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:57 am
Hi,

@cannotwens - could you please provide me with a URL to your website and back-end access via PM (click the “Private Message” text underneath my avatar) so that I may analyze it?

Joshua M
Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:58 am
@cannotwens, please check your shortcode from "Video" page:
data_source="single-post-example,single-post-example-2,single-post-example-3,single-post-example-4"

You have post slugs added as a data source for the plugin, but I can't see posts with slugs like single-post-example,single-post-example-2 etc..

Please change these slugs to your posts with videos.

GK User
Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:15 pm
I didn’t find Shortcode. Where is it?

I have found the solution for my case: To add a new widget area on Frontpage (Homepage). I used this post https://www.gavick.com/documentation/wo ... idget-area
But, still I can’t find gk_TemplateName/gavern/config/en_US/widgets.json

Please, help me. How can I add new widget area and then add there News Show Pro widget?

Thanks!
Junior Boarder

Joshua M
Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:16 am
The solution from the link doesn't work with TechNews theme, it's for our older themes.

Please go to Pages -> "Video" Here you can find the video [gknsp ..] shortcode.

Remember me
Register New Account
If you are old Gavick user, click HERE for steps to retrieve your account.