Mobile Swith Button in Logo area

Joomla template especially designed for news or magazine website with amazing content display flexibility.
GK User
Thu May 03, 2012 3:56 am
Hello: I recently bought The News II template for my site and I'm having problems with many of its features (the facebook login button, for example, is a cosmetic element as far as I'm concerned) but the issue with the switch button to the mobile version is the most visible of them all.

For reasons that don't really matter (cache, users login in through their phones, etc) a button shows up on the desktop version of the website (when browsing in a computer not a phone) and destroys the location of the elements currently set in the logo area. Having a switch to mobile in the desktop version of the template perhaps is usefull for some customers but I don't see the point at all. So, even when I've been trying to avoid hardcoding anything into the template, can somebody please explain to me what do I need to do in order to completely wipe out the switch to mobile button from the template. If it removes the switch to desktop from the mobile version I'm fine with it. Don't see why I'd want anybody going to the desktop version from their phones either.

I've been testing this issue with users in Europe and Latinamerica while I'm in LA and it only corrects itself after wiping out the cache, the cookies, the history and everything else that can be deleted from everyone's computers. Sometimes, however, the problem persists and the MOBILE version (in full, no button) shows up in the desktops.

Been searching the forums for a while and I don't see an answer to this question (I found many similar questions, though).

Thank you in advance for all your help and I apologize if I sound bitter. But News II has been on my nerves since I bought it. It's a beautiful product...but those issues...
Junior Boarder

teitbite
Mon May 14, 2012 2:21 am
Hi

Please just tell me if You are talking about The News or The Word News II template. There is a big difference in structure and different solutions for that.

GK User
Mon May 14, 2012 9:12 pm
Hi, thanks for your reply. The News II (Gk_twn2 2.8). In a different post about a different issue (chrome passing as IE6) I forwarded that the problem might be with caching. If someone gets in the mobile version, I believe, that is cached and the next user, even if on a desktop, gets the mobile version (does that make sense?).

I reinstalled the template after I ran into this problem and left all caching plugins off. I haven't had the IE6 problem or this one since then. Of course, caching is something I want to take advantage of, and it ocurred to me that removing all traces of the mobile code will avoid screwing up the desktop version (which is not the most elegant solution, but what the heck). Also been researching about directing mobile users to a m.elnuevocojo.com to avoid conflicts, but that will probably screw up the caching too.

I don't really have a solution for this problem. What do you think? My site http://www.elnuevocojo.com/
Junior Boarder

GK User
Mon May 14, 2012 10:01 pm
Just wanted to add that I just upgraded to latest version (2.9) :)
Junior Boarder

teitbite
Tue May 15, 2012 5:05 pm
Hi

I've seen this issue before. The problem is with progressive cache. Our solution to that is an additional cache plugin which comes with template, so You may disable joomla cache and use ours.

PS: The News II and The World News II are two different templates :)

GK User
Wed May 16, 2012 9:25 am
Thanks for your reply, man. I have The World News II template. I didn't know you had one call The News. I'll check it out.

Anyway, can you give a bit of advice on cache. I've been reading the forum and even though I got that there's a conflict between joomla cache and gavick's cache, the issue about the ordering of the plugin got me stucked.

My plugin administration page is a mess of zeros, ones, twos and threes. I don't see the logic to the ordering I have, which, by the way, I haven't changed since I installed the template. I assume the zeros load first and so on, but the order is affected by the type of plugin (column TYPE) because when you open a plugin and try to order the drop down menu only shows those of the same type. That said, the gk cache plugin can only be ordered by system plugins, but I'm afraid of screwing up something else by moving it up or down the hierarchy.

At least that what i read in some post, that the cache plugins need to be ordered in a certain way. Can you help me with that? As you mentioned this is cache problem because I have them all off and the issue went away for good.

So, in terms of ordering, is there any policy from Gavick that I should apply to the plugins? Also, there are 2 advance settings in the template manager about the cache (Use GK Cache and Use Cache). Should I turn those on along with the plugins or they actually turn on the plugins?

A bit confused as you can see :cry:
Junior Boarder

teitbite
Thu May 17, 2012 4:16 pm
Hi

This is not a conflict between joomla and gk cache. The issue is with progressive cache and system recognizing the device we are using.

Please send me an access to Your site so I'll configure it myself.

Here's some more information about our plugin https://www.gavick.com/documentation/jo ... ce-plugin/

Remember me
Register New Account
If you are old Gavick user, click HERE for steps to retrieve your account.