The updating THE NEWS - J1.0x and J1.5!!!

Joomla template especially designed for news or magazine website with amazing content display flexibility.
Robert Gavick
Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:46 pm
New release of "The News" brings the correction of the position of modules: user10, user11, user12 in both version of template
(for Joomla 1.0x and Joomla 1.5).
You can download the improved version of template from Download Area.
If you do not want to install tempalte again, you need to overwrite the files (from template pack): index.php, template_css.css

Significant Fixes:
- Fixed bug in the position of modules: user10, user11, user12
- Added to css class .br - clear: both;

Before starting an upgrade it is extremely important that you backup your template's file.
Administrator

GK User
Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:12 pm
Imperator wrote:
New release of "The News" brings the correction of the position of modules: user10, user11, user12 in both version of template
If you do not want to install tempalte again, you need to overwrite the files (from template pack): index.php, template_css.css

Significant Fixes:

Before starting an upgrade it is extremely important that you backup your template's file.

Just some clarifications, Robert:

First:
Is the background of the "News II Module" supposed to turn black, when added into either the user modules 10, 11 or 12 positions? If this is the case, what is the best way of changing the main CSS (the one in the Admin panel) or any other specific CSS so that I will have a white background and the same other specifications, had a module been placed in other positions, e.g., bottom, users 7, 8 or 9, etc,

I am shifting to a white background as shown in this Demo Page but could not remove some pesky black stuff in a number of places. The most glaring is at the bottom.

[Edit Note: I already solved most of the above style and layout issues by trial and error.]

Second:
Is the Demo Content prepared for "The News (Joomla 1.0.x)" supposed to work also for "The News Joomla 1.5"?

My installation for Joomla 1.5 and the subsequent installation of "The News" 1.5 worked (except for the contents different from the Demo). However, once I imported the Demo prepared for the 1.0.x, I got an error (see below) that rendered the site unavailable for any modification because the "Admin Login" would not even show. Please refer to post:

Does "The News" 1.5 require its own Demo content?

Dziudek thought it was just a problem with the menu.php but I checked mine, and it was correct.

Cornelio

Error
jtablesession:: Store Failed
DB function faile d with error number 1054
Unknown column 'client_id' in 'field list' SQL=INSERT INTO jos_session ( `session_id`,`time`,`username`,`gid`,`guest`,`client_id` ) VALUES ( '14215193c29d84912dc3de090488240a','1202841727','','0','1','0' )
Expert Boarder

GK User
Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:11 pm
I still notice the banner at the top right 468x60 is still half missing...can this be corrected?? This shows ok in Firefox but in IE7 it is half missing!
Senior Boarder

GK User
Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:14 pm
Thanks for the update Robert,

I did some more tweaking, based on the changes, and I was able to create a mostly white rather than black background.

So, just some more tweaking.

First: Since the background is white for my Demo Page.I would like to wrap the page with a solid border, perhaps #99999, all around so that it has the appearance of being contained, like a page.

Second: In the section/category headings in the user_position-4, what CSS define the section "header", i.e., section/category headings, the article headline and the text.

Thanks.

Cornelio
Expert Boarder

GK User
Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:51 pm
Hi cgc0202, which Joomla! version are you using?

Whwn I update the logo.png (my logo) it doesn't show! I created a .png in fireworks using the .ai file taht we were supplied with by the design agency. I had no problems with this when I was using a ... template. Do I use the Page.psd file in the Source files folder and place the logo on there?
Senior Boarder

GK User
Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:54 pm
Is there a 1.5 demo sql file available yet?

Imperator wrote:

Significant Fixes:

Senior Boarder

GK User
Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:41 pm
jpb wrote:
Hi cgc0202, which Joomla! version are you using?

Whwn I update the logo.png (my logo) it doesn't show! I created a .png in fireworks using the .ai file taht we were supplied with by the design agency. I had no problems with this when I was using a yootheme template. Do I use the Page.psd file in the Source files folder and place the logo on there?

Hi jpb,

I am concentrating right now with the Joomla v1.0.x since many of the extensions I am using -- Community Builder, JoomlaWorks SIG PRO, Fireboard forum, iJoomla Magazine, etc. -- are not Joomla 1.5 compatible yet.

You can use the psd, if you have the correct program, and use the same background.

I use a simple Logo maker for the Mac -- not the best but it will do for now. The logo can be created with any program, even some logo makers available in the internet for free. What is imporatant is the ability to create any image that is recognized as such -- jpg, png, gif, etc., similar to the one used. Here, for example, ".png"

If cannot create the correct suffix, like ".gif", I just modify the index.php in the Admin panel:

logo.gif => logo.jpg
logo.png => logo.jpg

for example.

If you like the black background, but do not have a program with "transparent" background creator, what you can do is remove or rename the "background.jpg". Then you may create your logo in a black background. It will blend nicely with the template, as is.

In the Demo link, I created, I used a "white.jpg" background (renamed that as "background.jpg) as well as changed a number of the specifications in the stylesheets.

From my experience dealing with webpages, black background is good as accents,and for most photo rich publications but not for text-rich pages. So, I usually prefer white page.

Cornelio
Expert Boarder

GK User
Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:28 pm
Dear Gavick!

I´ve checked your website gavick.com and the News with Opera browser and it looks so weird.
Please don´t forget to test your templates in Opera..

Thanks!
Paloma
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Mon May 19, 2008 11:38 pm
My subscription has just finished! :angry:
I can not download fixed items bu I'd like to be able to fix the positions of modules 10, 11, 12 and the display of the banner on IE (which appears half).

Can you just give me some information to fix all this problems? (like code to change...)

Thanks!
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:17 am
What does V 1.3 fix?

I see there are 5 extensions that are new ... if I've got all of these working what's the gain for the obvious pain? :huh:
Expert Boarder

Remember me
Register New Account
If you are old Gavick user, click HERE for steps to retrieve your account.