STOREFRONT NEW VERSION 1.8.1

May 2014 WordPress Theme
GK User
Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:38 am
What are the changes, bug fixes, new features, etc. in the new WP STOREFRONT version 1.8.1?
Fresh Boarder

Joshua M
Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:15 am
Hi,

The last 1.8.1 version of the StoreFront, contains improvements connected with WooCommerce update only:
Please check "Updates" section:
https://www.gavick.com/updates?task=upd ... 21&catid=4

GK User
Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:52 pm
I did not installed version 1.8 and would like to know if it has to be installed before I do the upgrade to version 1.8.1.
Fresh Boarder

Joshua M
Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:47 am
Hi,

You can upgrade directly to version 1.8.1. (if you didn't modify theme files, please remember about the full backup first).

GK User
Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:21 am
I did modify and had some customization on theme. How can I upgrade and preserve the customizations?
Fresh Boarder

Joshua M
Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:28 am
You should use child theme for theme files modifications.
Now you have to compare changed files from update v. 1.8 and 1.8.1, changelogs are available here:
https://www.gavick.com/updates?task=group&id=4

and update only listed files. If some files are visible on the list and also modified by you, you have to compare these files manually. (try FileMerge or WinMerge application)

GK User
Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:46 am
There were minimal theme file modifications. However, most of the customization is on the StoreFront menu layout which I'm most interested in preserving. Also,as discussed earlier, the plan was to do v. 1.8.1 and skip 1.8. What's your suggestion?
Fresh Boarder

Joshua M
Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:55 am
Like I wrote - if you modified theme files, you can't upgrade the entire directory to version 1.8.1 because you will lost your modifications.

You have to compare changed files from v 1.8 and 1.8.1 with files which you modified.

GK User
Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:44 pm
I did a manual upgrade to v1.8 generated a situation where the slider and footer seem to have gotten corrupted. As a result, I had to restore my backup to v1.7. If I run the quickstart package, will it do an upgrade to v1.8 (which I want) or a new full installation of v1.8?
Fresh Boarder

Joshua M
Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:10 am
Hi,
What's exactly do you mean by "manual upgrade" did you compare files or upload entire directory (v 1.8) via FTP?
The quickstart is generated from version 1.8. (not 1.8.1)

GK User
Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:34 am
This is how I did the "manual upgrade" - I compared files of v1.7 (orginal installation) and 1.8 to make a list of all the changed files. Then I deleted the old wordpress files except for wpconfig.php, wp-content folder plugins and images. Then I upload v1.8 files and run the upgrade.php file. What I wanted to find out if I can run the upgrade file from the quickstart package to get an error-free upgrade.
Fresh Boarder

Joshua M
Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:10 am
Hi,
You should compare only THEME files from wp-content/themes/StoreFront directory. Now you probably removed some WordPress core files, where did you find the information that you should run the upgrade.php file?

GK User
Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:52 pm
The entire wordpress 4.6 files included in v1.8 was uploaded. I lost my customized menu, slider, and some footer information. You still haven't answered my question whether or not quickstart will do the upgrade. I run the upgrade.php (got info online) file because I assume the quickstart will do a fresh installation which will not preserve my customized menu. Isn't that the case? I'm trying to avoid re-doing my customization after installing v1.8
Fresh Boarder

GK User
Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:23 pm
These are the changed files: override.css, woocommerce.css, template.json, helpers.features.php, functions.php, popups.php, product-image.php, content-product.php, editor-styles.css, style.css and template.login.
Fresh Boarder

Joshua M
Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:32 am
Yes, the quickstart is for creating fresh installation with demo content only and if you've customized your menu in theme files, it will be lost, so it's not a right way to update your theme. Like I wrote earlier you should only update changed files from wp-content/themes/StoreFront directory.
Next time please use a Child theme for this kind of modifications.

GK User
Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:13 pm
I get what you're saying. However, in v1.7, a Child theme was not included so I had no choice but to work with what I've got.
Fresh Boarder

Joshua M
Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:33 am
A child theme in all our themes (quickstarts) contains only style.css file with the header:

Code: Select all
/*
Theme Name:     StoreFront Child
Theme URI:      http://www.gavick.com
Description:    Child theme for the StoreFront theme
Author:         GavickPro
Author URI:     http://www.gavick.com
Template:       StoreFront
Version:        1.0
*/

so you can easily create it. More information may be found here:
https://www.gavick.com/blog/modify-safe ... ild-themes

Remember me
Register New Account
If you are old Gavick user, click HERE for steps to retrieve your account.