Woocommerce 3.0 compatible version - 2.1.8? where is it?

May 2014 WordPress Theme
GK User
Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:07 pm
Oh, I must be slow.
When I install Woocommerce 3.0 in a brand new Storefront WP install from a recent Storefront Quickstart package to provide a demo concept to a client, it tells me that there are theme pages which require an update. So I check the sustem status page and sure enough it tells me "current version: 1.8.1 (based on GavernWP 1.16) – 2.1.8 is available". OK, so let's update it....

However, as there doesn't seem to be any way to update this Gavick theme via Themes, I figure that I need to manually update it. OK , no biggie. So we download Storefront again. (Of course, unlike other theme and extensions/plugins sites Gavick doesn't provide the last update date nor which version I'm downloading, and the file sizes are either outdated or just plain wrong, so I have to download it again so I can compare bit sizes to see if the is in fact a more recent version than what I initially downloaded Storefront - after all it is telling me I have 1.8.1 and there's a 2.1.8 waiting for me somewhere).

So I download it, and go searching for a version number. The readme.html instead displays...

= MEET GAVERNWP =
* by GavickPro, http://www.gavick.com
== ABOUT MEET GAVERNWP ==

Hmmm, now I'm pretty sure that's the wrong file there, and hat I've seen that in the MeetGavernWP file that I occasionally use as a base for sites. So, no go on the verision number - and nothing in the index.php file either. In fact after looking for it in a number of different files, I'm still at a loss.

Indeed I must be slow, because I was sure that I resolve this non-update issue myself. Couldn't be that hard to find an update theme zip file and update the demo site, surely. But nope, no dice. Files (quickstart and basic theme) are exactly the same filesize as the Jan '17 versions. I install it over the top of the existing theme - as expected... no change.

So what's going on here. Is this a puzzle that we're supposed to work out? How old the files are, how big, what version, and where's the mystery 'new version'. I haven't been back here for quite a while, and the website is definitely looking and working better now, but this experience (not the first time this has happened). With other Gavick themes (ie. MeetGavernWP) we just update the theme ourselves if we can't find an update especially since we'd probably be customising it anyway, but I guess I'm getting a bit over wasting time rooting around for an update and having to do this ourselves.

So what gives. Am I wasting my time? Or is there actually a WC 3.0 compatible version of Storefront laying around somewhere on your servers?
Senior Boarder

Joshua M
Mon May 01, 2017 7:55 am
Hi,

Last version of our themes (with information about the changed files) may be found here:
https://www.gavick.com/updates?task=group&id=4

There's a problem with our StoreFront theme, because after we release our theme, someone else have added a theme with the same name (Storefront) to WordPress free themes repository and you can see an information about your theme update. (but it's not our StoreFront theme update)

Unfortunately WooCommerce update (last version) is not ready yet.

GK User
Tue May 02, 2017 1:45 am
Thanks for the link.

Aha, that would explain it. It did seem a strange version number jump.

Yes, on an installed theme, we receive notice of available updates, but if they aren't available or we have not yet installed it but wish to know whether it does include recent updated code, this would help and save much mucking around to find out.

Looking forward to when the site actually reflects update info and release date.
Senior Boarder

GK User
Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:48 pm
Hi there,
Any news on when this will be completed?
I also notice the contact form on this theme doesn't work under PHP 7.
Any workaround for that yet?
Senior Boarder

Joshua M
Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:59 pm
Hi,
The Udpate was released 16 May:
https://www.gavick.com/updates?task=upd ... 86&catid=4
the problem with contact form are also fixed.

GK User
Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:06 am
Thanks for that. Have applied it and all is working well under PHP 7.1 and I'm getting more than a second off my page load times because of it.

It would still be nice if we were updated via WP (though I do understand there's a conflict with the Woocommerce Storefront theme), but at least with the update dates displayed on the website. All the Gavick downloads could benefit from that. Just a thought.
Senior Boarder

Joshua M
Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:19 am
Thanks for your suggestion, but dates of available updates are visible in StoreFront -> Updates section.

GK User
Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:51 am
The company should still have the date of version release and approximate size of the download on the website. Also, as you've stated, while I now see that they have added an Updates menu to the Appearance menu in more recent versions of their themes, they haven't even spelt the name of their own update service correctly (instead calling it GavicPro).

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the Gavick approach toward their Framework and providing cool extensions for all to use (well in Joomla anyway), but it is things like this frustrate me, and give the company a half-done feel to what they do. I've been a client for quite a few years and I rarely hear from them in regards to improvements in their service, extensions or themes. Maybe I've not made it onto that mailing list yet?
Senior Boarder

Remember me
Register New Account
If you are old Gavick user, click HERE for steps to retrieve your account.