Sitemaps (XML files) are a way to tell Google about pages on your site we might not otherwise discover. Xmap is a powerful site map generator component for Joomla 1.7. This extension for several years allows you to build your sitemap by using the structure of your menus. Vargas company announce the release of the second stable version 2.2 of Xmap for this CMS.
Many bugs have been fixed since our previous release. Xmap 2.2 comes with 4 pre-installed extensions so you don’t have to download and install all the ones you need but you need to manually enable them using the “extensions” link in Xmap’s backend.
What’s new since 2.2:
- Fixing bug when pagebreaks are not being included (Reported by Slavko)
- Fixing bug with empty width for two or more columns
- Added article’s title and publication date to news sitemap output.
- Menu items wiht the secure flag ON are now displayed with https://
- Fixed bug causing empty sitemaps when accessed on https
- Added quick instructions on XML sitemap view
- Added option to show items’ titles on the xml view for admins
- Fixing bug with SobiPro plugin on sites running joomla inside a subfolder
- Added option to change the ordering direction for Mosets Tree extension
- Some other small bug fixes
Note that if you are using Akeeba Backup you should back to standard installer – otherwise you might have a problem with installing or updating the extension. You have to manually enable some extra plugins (Content Plugin, Kunena Plugin, Mosets Tree Plugin and SobiPro Plugin – type “Xmap”) visiting your Joomla Extensions manager.
Sitemaps are particularly helpful if your site has:
- Dynamic content – like CMS Joomla has.
- Pages that aren’t easily discovered by Googlebot during the crawl process—for example, pages featuring rich AJAX or images.
- Is new and has few links to it.
- Your site has a large archive of articles that are not well linked to each other, or are not linked at all.